The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Favre A Jet

I am a die hard Packer fan and I am very glad to finally have this over with.

Brett's made a pretty big mistake here IMO. He's now on a team that IMO isn't as good as the Packers (outside of QB) and in a tougher conference. He comes back saying he has this burning desire to try and get to the Superbowl and then alienates himself from probably his best chance (by staying witht he Pack). Now he is in a conference with 3 of the best teams in the NFL (one in the same division) with a team less talented than his previous one, he has been sitting for virtually the whole offseason, and doens't know the system.

IMO, Favre would have to put up the same numbers as he did last year for the Jets for them to have any success. Many would say thats no problem, but again as a Packer fan I watched virtually every game last year. IMO, it was the system and Mccarthy, not so much Favre, that was 13-3 and one of the best QBs in the league. Every game Favre deviated from the system, Dallas, Washington, and the first Bears game come to mind, he threw picks, they lost, or the D bailed them out. Have fun Mangini.

I know alot of people are going to question the Packers organization, but IMO what were they to do? By no means did they handle it perfectly, but IMO neither did Favre.

Favre said right after he retired he wasn't sure. Then why not call the Packers and tell them flat out your not sure. Why call them and say i'm done?

Favre started wispering in June that he wanted to come back. Packers prepare to fly out there to talk to him, he says don't bother.

Rather than call someone and say I want to come back, he sends them a letter asking for his release.

He goes on national TV and openly questions his GM.

Its clear to him they don't want him back, yet when he was reinstated they changed their plan FOR HIM to open the QB competition up. Something they said they wouldn't.

IMO, Favre never wanted to play for the Packers even before he retired. I don't think he planned this whole thing out, but I think he was done with the Ted Thompson (GM) regime. He just wanted to play and play elsewhere, but didn't want the fans to turn on him.

I will admit, and this is coming from someone who became a Packer fan becasue of Favre, that i'm very dissapointed in the way he handled this. I still view him as one of the greatest QBs ever, and a remarkable athlete but i've definetly lost a small shred of respect for him.

But I'm wondering if this is a good move for the Jets? I'm not huge into the NFL, but wasn't Pennington a good enough QB for them? At Favre's age, is he that big a step up?

Compare what CuJo did for us last year, will Favre do the same over a full season?

A part of me is happy this saga is over but another part of me hopes the saga has one final chapter with the Jets trading Favre to either Minnesota or Chicago.

A part of me is happy this saga is over but another part of me hopes the saga has one final chapter with the Jets trading Favre to either Minnesota or Chicago.

Apparantly, I only have a link to another web forum, but people are quoting sources that are suggesting that the Packers have included a clause in the contract that if Favre is delt to Minnisota the Jets have to cough up 3 1st round picks to the Packers.

I think he can go to the Bears, and the Pack arn't too concerned there. The bears have an agging and very ineffective offense line, no receivers, a questionable running game, and don't run the west coast offence. Favre would be a mess for the Bears, IMO.

But I'm wondering if this is a good move for the Jets? I'm not huge into the NFL, but wasn't Pennington a good enough QB for them? At Favre's age, is he that big a step up?

Compare what CuJo did for us last year, will Favre do the same over a full season?

Pennington arguably lost his job at the end of the year to Clemens anyway, i like Pennington , he had good accuracy but not an arm and he was very injury prone

And I feel Brett will past expectation for most people, the Jets have a solid o-line and good Receiving threats in Cotchery (Better then Coles IMO), Coles (just a bit to old now) and Keller (Rookie TE with nice hands)

Well,I'm glad it's over, too. Not sure what to do with my Favre Packers jersey now.

You have 2 choices,

1. Supports Brett and wear it still

2. Wait till the end of the season and then wear it cause he is one of the greatest quarterbacks ever

but all of this is IMO

Pennington arguably lost his job at the end of the year to Clemens anyway, i like Pennington , he had good accuracy but not an arm and he was very injury prone

And I feel Brett will past expectation for most people, the Jets have a solid o-line and good Receiving threats in Cotchery (Better then Coles IMO), Coles (just a bit to old now) and Keller (Rookie TE with nice hands)

While I think he had more talent on the Packers roster last year, deeper receving core and a better run game, I don't think talent aruond him is the big problem. The problem is going to be getting him to reduce those risks that at his age turn into interceptions. It took Mccarthy, who IMO i find a better coach than Mangini, about half a season (and he had previously coached him) to get Favre to buy into his west coast offence. Last season was Favre just putting the ball into his receivers hands and then letting them go. The Packers led the league in YAC (yards after catch) and IMO this had more to do with being 13-3 then Favre.

Not to downgrade what Favre has done, or did last year, but I'm not convinved he can parlay his success last year to the Jets. He is playing in a stronger division, stronger conference, and against defences he has hardly seen in the last few years. On top of that he is going to have to learn a new playbook. He is a wise QB, but he has to do all of this with being out of camp for two weeks and on a new team.

what a statement from brett favre after all this circus he has caused.

"My arm's kind of dragging a little bit today," the quarterback said Wednesday after the Jets' morning session. "It's not really sore, but just fatigued. To be honest with you, I'm surprised that, I don't want to say I feel good, that I've been able to make it through every practice so far."

"My arm, for the most part, has felt great," he said. "Legs, a little bit fatigued. You've got to figure I'm a little bit behind some of these guys. I'm a little bit surprised that, up to this point, I've been doing OK."

season hasnt even started yet and hes wearing a bit. hope he does ok, then again its the jets, but if he was gonna come back from retirement he should have stayed on the packers as a leader and back up rodgers and go out that way. lets see a mid season retirement hoopla from brett!!!!

I am very disappointed with this trade. To me this is the equivalent of the Avalanche trading Sakic to the Islanders because he is guaranteed to be a first line center there.

I am very disappointed with this trade. To me this is the equivalent of the Avalanche trading Sakic to the Islanders because he is guaranteed to be a first line center there.

except a back up QB plays a lot less than a 2nd line center, 3rd line center, and even a 4th line center

except a back up QB plays a lot less than a 2nd line center, 3rd line center, and even a 4th line center

I understand that, in fact they usually dont play at all, but if I was Favre I would have stayed with my team and helped the new QB develop into a better player and do what I could to help my team

Hey remember that time MJ came out of retirement and played for the Wizards??? hmmm now if only there was a situation I could compare this to that was present day....... hmmmmmmm

Hey remember that time MJ came out of retirement and played for the Wizards??? hmmm now if only there was a situation I could compare this to that was present day....... hmmmmmmm

except MJ actually missed basketball games, Favre missed as much game as every other player....just more practice, and in the words of A.I "PRACTICE!?"

As a Packers fan I am sad to see this cause i believe Favre has ruined his career now. I think he should have either stayed retired or just stuck with the Pack instead of putting everyone through all the hassle and bother and I think he's tarnished his legacy at GB for some fans too.

This annoys me.

Here's a guy with a Hall of Fame career who was, for the most part, a lifer with Green Bay and completely dedicated and affiliated with the franchise, and then after an "emotional" retirement, he comes back?

And not only that, he comes back and puts his old team in an awkward situation. They're ready to move on without him but, stop the press, he wants to come back so they should just lay down the red carpet for the mighty Brett Favre? After a ton of tension, and a sour taste in the mouths of Green Bay and their fans alike, he's traded. And for what purpose? Why the hell did you retire so quickly then just to come back?

He could have went out on top but now I'm hoping to God the Jets go 3-13 this year so he can learn his lesson.

This annoys me.

Here's a guy with a Hall of Fame career who was, for the most part, a lifer with Green Bay and completely dedicated and affiliated with the franchise, and then after an "emotional" retirement, he comes back?

And not only that, he comes back and puts his old team in an awkward situation. They're ready to move on without him but, stop the press, he wants to come back so they should just lay down the red carpet for the mighty Brett Favre? After a ton of tension, and a sour taste in the mouths of Green Bay and their fans alike, he's traded. And for what purpose? Why the hell did you retire so quickly then just to come back?

He could have went out on top but now I'm hoping to God the Jets go 3-13 this year so he can learn his lesson.

It all depends on who you ask and who you beleive.

Favre says he didn't want to retire, but the Packers wanted an answer by the draft. He gave them an honest one. Then he hinted to them months before he wanted to come back, but kept getting brushed away and was left feeling like he wasn't wanted. He was letting them know quietly that he wanted to come so he woudln't disrupt anything, but the Packers jsut thought it would go away so they semi ignored him. So then your left, if your Favre, with wanting to play but not being accepted by the team that owns your contract. So he got aggressive in wanting to come back.

Both sides messed up and both have since admitted that. but the Packers are just at fault as Favre is in this situation. And keep in mind I am a die hard packers fan, so its not like i'm biased towards Favre. I actually think the Packers did the right thing, but they could have handled it much better.