The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kimbo's last fight (Oct 4th)

I wasn't really that shocked. Kimbo is a joke to the MMA community. Only reason he got a deal was because lots of people knew him from his street fighting and "money talks". Dana White was right with this guy.

The real deal starting in the UFC is Brock Lesnar. Lots of people wanted to see Lesnar and Kimbo fight but Kimbo would have been humiliated in that. All the guy can do is punch hard but he doesn't even have skills in boxing...

Kimbo got stunned by a pretty well-timed right overhand that came blindingly after a kick by Petruzelli. A very nicely executed combo. After Kimbo dropped to his knees, Petruzelli went in for the kill and that was the end of the fight.

I'm not a big MMA fan but I'd watch a side show fight anyday. Give me two midgets in a ring, celebrity boxers, or Kimbo and Shamrock, i'd watch for sure.

Hopefully that'll be enough to put this back in context: Kimbo isn't a professional fighter, he's a thug with few skills. When matched up against a real MMA fighter he doesn't stand a chance unless he happens to land a punch.

Elite XC is cashing in on Kimbo big time, and who is to blame them. And it was only a matter of time until Kimbo matched up with a legitimately trained fighter that would expose him. I wasn't overly surprised it was Seth, but I was pretty shocked how fast it went. That being said MMA is a crazy sport and anyone can lose at any time. All you have to do is get lucky and the fight is over that fast.

Kimbo will be back and hopefully he decides to further his skill set and train harder. Not that I am really a fan of his, I just think he has alot going for him and to not at least try to learn the sport, since he seems to like it, would hurt him.

Elite XC was also smart to team with Affliction as they hold all the MMA cards. With 4 or 5 top 10 heavyweights, and the BEST pound for pound fighter in Fedor (don't give my any Andersen nonsense, Fedor is the man), they should be able to put up some great cards going forward. Hopefully they can sign Tito and start dragging some decent lower weight class guys with them. Healthy competition would be nothing but great for MMA, as it could finally force the UFC to stop watering its cards down.

I will agree and disagree with Brock Lesnar, he is just as much of a side show as Kimbo at the moment. I do agree that his is in shape, big enough, smart enough, and young enough to become a legitimate contender. I just think he is highly overrated and if he ever faces someone like Arlovski, Barnett, or Fedor he will likely be exposed just as Coleman exposed him. Lesnar is far from being a top contender, hopefully he can learn some ground game and submission defense.

Hopefully Couture comes in well prepared (he hasn't fought in a year), and he should also be able to expose Lesnar just the same.

Oh please!

You know Ali lost fights too eh?!

Im not comparing Ali to Kimbo, but geezus he loses one fight, and hes no longer a pro fighter??? Dude the guy can fight..... hes in a fighting league ffs. He matches up better with some then others, as does EVERY fighter.

Kimbo Slice is a ridiculous specimen of toughness, stability and accuracy. The guy can, and has beat hundreds, on the street, no ref, no ring. But for the same purpose.. money.

Im not a professional on the topic, but Kimbo can fight. You disagree? Go say it to his face.

I wasn't really that shocked. Kimbo is a joke to the MMA community. Only reason he got a deal was because lots of people knew him from his street fighting and "money talks". Dana White was right with this guy.

The real deal starting in the UFC is Brock Lesnar. Lots of people wanted to see Lesnar and Kimbo fight but Kimbo would have been humiliated in that. All the guy can do is punch hard but he doesn't even have skills in boxing...

Its funny that you bring up Brock Lesnar because I think Kimbo is to Elite XC what Brock is to UFC... They are both huge in size but I think they both need a lot more MMA training. Brock is also famous because of his WWE days.... I think both Kimbo and Brock are in the same boat and I think Brock is going to find this out when he has to fight Randy C.

As for the Kimbo fight, after reading people's reactions on different forums and different articles, I have come up with 2 different conclusions.... either Kimbo got hit with a crazy punch that hit the right mark at the right time..... or he threw the fight..... now Im not a conspiracy junkie or anything but I recorded the fight on our HD box..... I watch the slow motion replays in extra slow motion (via my remote) and out of 10-12 punches that Seth through.... maybe 3 connected square on....... the "knockout" punch was on one foot and not that hard; Kimbo has taken way harder in his street fights.... he dropped pretty easy.......

Also, he had a cut over his left eye.... In the pre fight preperation, his trainer puts vasoline on the right side of his eye and right cheek and left cheek but nothing on the left eye............ his cut could have easily been from leather scraping bare skin.................

it just seemed too easy for me when I saw it............ for all I know it could have been a great punch but something just didnt sit right............

Its funny that you bring up Brock Lesnar because I think Kimbo is to Elite XC what Brock is to UFC... They are both huge in size but I think they both need a lot more MMA training. Brock is also famous because of his WWE days.... I think both Kimbo and Brock are in the same boat and I think Brock is going to find this out when he has to fight Randy C.

As for the Kimbo fight, after reading people's reactions on different forums and different articles, I have come up with 2 different conclusions.... either Kimbo got hit with a crazy punch that hit the right mark at the right time..... or he threw the fight..... now Im not a conspiracy junkie or anything but I recorded the fight on our HD box..... I watch the slow motion replays in extra slow motion (via my remote) and out of 10-12 punches that Seth through.... maybe 3 connected square on....... the "knockout" punch was on one foot and not that hard; Kimbo has taken way harder in his street fights.... he dropped pretty easy.......

Also, he had a cut over his left eye.... In the pre fight preperation, his trainer puts vasoline on the right side of his eye and right cheek and left cheek but nothing on the left eye............ his cut could have easily been from leather scraping bare skin.................

it just seemed too easy for me when I saw it............ for all I know it could have been a great punch but something just didnt sit right............

first I would like to correct my amazing grammer... Seth THREW punches he did not THROUGH punches.....

and I agree that Kimbo is a good fighter... He has got great strength and I think thats what bugged me....... I dont like the people who are commenting "Oh Kimbo sucks, he has been exposed...." because he did not get pummled... he got hit with 1 "solid" punch......... I dont question Kimbo's athleticism, I question whether the outcome was pre planned.........

it just seemed too easy for me when I saw it............ for all I know it could have been a great punch but something just didn't sit right............

Brock may be famous from his days in WWE... but you seem to be ignoring that Lesnar is an All-American amateur wrestler as well... while he obviously still has quite a bit of work to do he has 'real' wrestling training and is much more than just another WWE hack

Oh please!

You know Ali lost fights too eh?!

Im not comparing Ali to Kimbo, but geezus he loses one fight, and hes no longer a pro fighter??? Dude the guy can fight..... hes in a fighting league ffs. He matches up better with some then others, as does EVERY fighter.

Kimbo Slice is a ridiculous specimen of toughness, stability and accuracy. The guy can, and has beat hundreds, on the street, no ref, no ring. But for the same purpose.. money.

Im not a professional on the topic, but Kimbo can fight. You disagree? Go say it to his face.

If i'm not mistaken, he actually hasn't won an MMA fight in any kind of decent pro league.

And yeah Kimbo can fight, but can be MMA. Bascially what I think people are saying, at least my opinion, is that year sure Kimbo is a tough as nails street fighter. He just isn't an MMA fighter. There is a big difference. 10 years ago, Kimbo probably would have rocked the UFA ala a Tank Adams. Now, you have guys that are so quick and well rounded that Kimbo just has a tough time keeping up.

He can fight, there is no question, just don't believe he can fight in any MMA league.

If i'm not mistaken, he actually hasn't won an MMA fight in any kind of decent pro league.

And yeah Kimbo can fight, but can be MMA. Bascially what I think people are saying, at least my opinion, is that year sure Kimbo is a tough as nails street fighter. He just isn't an MMA fighter. There is a big difference. 10 years ago, Kimbo probably would have rocked the UFA ala a Tank Adams. Now, you have guys that are so quick and well rounded that Kimbo just has a tough time keeping up.

He can fight, there is no question, just don't believe he can fight in any MMA league.

Kimbo has already done his job, he put Elite XC on the map. Now that they have some sort of deal with Affliction Kimbo is no longer needed. Affliction holds all the cards in the MMA heavyweight division, none of which Kimbo has a chance against, and they will help carry Elite XC from here on in.

As Lunatik pointed out, Brock is mroe of just WWE. At first I didn't even know he used to be a WWE wrestler because I don't pay attention to it...

Lesnar placed 2nd then 1st in NCAA wrestling two years in a row and finished college with a record of 106-5 over 4 years. His wrestling skills aren't even his greatest assets though.

First off have you seen this guy fight? He could run circles around most middle and light-heavyweights and he is 6'3 280lbs(he cuts to get down to the 265 limit for fights).

He does lack BJJ skills but come November against Couture I think he is going to shock everyone. Just the changes he made in his game in between his fights with Mir and then Herron was huge. Not to mention up until he got caught by Mir he was dominating both his fights. I expect him to plow through Couture, If guys like Mir/Herron can't contain Brock there is no way the smaller Couture will be able to.

To tell the truth I would even be surprised if by then end of this heavyweight tournament Brock has the belt. Nogeuria will be his toughest opponent but I think Brock will have the skills come that fight.

The Kimbo fight wasn't stopped because Kimbo got caught and knocked out or anything like that, he was only slightly rocked. But he showed zero form in trying to recover and because of it Seth was able to pounce and force a ref stoppage.

Edit: There is a reason Dana White chose Brock over Kimbo. There is also a reason why Kimbo is getting beat by nobodies and Brock is fighting for the title...

What you have to remember about Kimbo is he is a street fighter. He has very little training but one major plus that he has is that he likes to fight and hurt people. This gives him the edge in many fights as he's like and animal, looking for the right moment to strike for the kill. He can hit you and when he does, it will hurt.

In these fighting championships, whether its UFC, Elite X or Pride fighting, your skills are different from the person you face. Kimbo is a strong fighter with toughness being his defense. He has a solid stance, like his last match he was caught on one foot, leaving him open, one of his weaknesses. When going in to a match you need to know your opponent, you need to know their weakness and use that against them.

Kimbo is a street fighter and not a scrapper, if you get in close and grapple with him, that's another weakness he has. He was beat by a guy (can't remember his name) who grapple and looks for the submission. He chocked Kimbo out while standing up.

I'm not saying Kimbo is amazing but if you fight him as his game (standing and throwing punches) you may find it hard to beat him, unless like his last match you wait for him to make the mistake.

No fighter is unbeatable. You just have to prepare for each fight.

Kimbo has already done his job, he put Elite XC on the map. Now that they have some sort of deal with Affliction Kimbo is no longer needed. Affliction holds all the cards in the MMA heavyweight division, none of which Kimbo has a chance against, and they will help carry Elite XC from here on in.

Hahahahaha he did a real good job at putting them on the map :lol:

In case people don't know, after Kimbos fight ProElite(Elite XCs parent company) went bankrupt and shut down.