The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rugby

I noticed since I have visited Canada that you guys dont really watch or play much rugby. Is there any type of pro league for it in Canada or is it all semi pro stuff?

The game is Canada is bigger as you go west, at least in my experience. Its all semi-pro though, a few years ago it was gaining a lot of steam and then it has kind of fallen off the map. BC has a great youth program with a few rugby colleges, but CIS has really missed the boat with not having a Mens program for its Universities. The women have a program but for some unknown reason the men dont. I think if they had a CIS mens program in place they could really build a solid following in Canada. I know at my highschool it was a very big sport for our school but after highschool there was no options besides club. Look out for James Buchanan I think his name is, he is going to big for Canadian Rugby.

I enjoy rugby. I played from Grade 8-12, then did a year of rugby while I was at UVic. I had the honor of playing with several current Team Canada players. I had a bad knee injury, and quit after that. Just this year, I decided to join a club at the University of Lethbridge. However, in my several year absence from the sport, I have lost a step (or many), and I'm not enjoying it like I used to. However, I have to say, I still love a good ol' game of buggers with the boys.

I think that if I made a conserted effort to get into better shape, I might be able to regain some form. But, I'm just not into the competative aspect anymore; I'd rather just play for fun.

As for International Rugby, I have a softspot in my heart for the Wallabies, and the Irish and Scottish International teams.

RUGBY RULZ!

:wub:

EDIT:

James Buchanan. Eerie. My name is Cody JAMES BUCHANAN.

Creeeeepy.

Where does he play?

In the Edmonton area I know there is Rugby clubs all over. I don't personally play but from what I've seen it looks like a fun sport. :)

I also like going to one of the clubs and see the guys there :ph34r: It's not far from where I live :blink:

http://www.edmontonrugby.com/league.php?scriptName=LEAGUEINFO&leagueID=7580&leagueInfoID=6061' target="_blank">http://www.edmontonrugby.com/league.php?sc...agueInfoID=6061[/post]

COUCH!!! :angry:

Just this year, I decided to join a club at the University of Lethbridge.

I have a few buddies from my high school team that played and play on that team. They have a good program there, that womens as well...they are the only team my school, U of A, can't do well against.

EDIT:

James Buchanan. Eerie. My name is Cody JAMES BUCHANAN.

Creeeeepy.

Where does he play?

I think his club is the Hornets in Calgary. I played a year after him for Team Alberta and they still were talkng about him. He plays scrum half and he's on the sevens team this year and should be named to the National Senior Mens team soon. Probably a back up for a but but he is a mean dude. He'll play out of Canada for sure, soon, he's only 22-23.

Ok cool, I know Canada as a national team have seriously improved their game in Union. I mean in the 2007 world cup Canada gave England a run for their money in the group stages as we struggle to win. Give another 2-3 world cups and maybe Canada could mount a decent challenge for the cup if they keep developing the way they are at the moment.

I aume its all rugby union in Canada and not much rugby league?

I did notice a rugby club in Vancouver when I was there a few weeks ago near the docks.

I havent played for a good 6-7 years since I broke my ankle. I was out for two years but when I was fit and able to play again I just didnt get back into it. Think I may again if I have the time to play. I miss it alot.

Lets hope Canada get some strong structure behind them and create a decent table and maybe even a cup :)