The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rosalie52

2009 NFL Playoff thread

Just a little more info about how the regular season records finished off and the seedings.

AFC Playoff Teams:

1. Tennessee Titans (13-3)

2. Pittsburgh Steelers (12-4)

3. Miami Dolphins (11-5)

4. San Diego Chargers (8-8)

5. Indianapolis Colts (12-4)

6. Baltimore Ravens (11-5)

NFC Playoff Teams:

1. New York Giants (12-4)

2. Carolina Panthers (12-4)

3. Minnesota Vikings (10-6)

4. Arizona Cardinals (9-7)

5. Atlanta Falcons (11-5)

6. Philadelphia Eagles (9-6-1)

I'm with you cross, I think we could see a sweep for the road teams. I look for a close one between Philly and Minny, and the Fins could be a surprise upset, but wouldn't count on it. The Cardinals backed into the playoff and will be done with soon. Indy has a Manning, nuff said.

Long term prediction for the Super Bowl, Steelers and Giants.

I'm pulling for the Dolphins this year, I mean come on they were 1 - 15 last season to improve to 11 - 5 this season largely in part due to the whole Favre fiasco.. Thanks Jets for an amazing QB sure hope that Favre works out for ya!?!?!?!?

Now my team is the 49ers but sadly they won't get a sniff of the playoffs for at least another 2 - 3 seasons but I like these Dolphins they surprised a lot of teams this year with their unorthodox offence

LETS GO EAGLES!! My best friend is an eagles fan and it would be really *healthy* if the eagles won it for him. E! A! G! L! E! S! EAGLES!!

Pretty dissapointed that my Dolphins played their worst game of the season. Pennington choked when the pressure was on. You can't turn the ball over 5 times and expect to win.

The Defence did an excellent job, but were often coming on the the field within their own 20 due to an interception or turnover.

Pretty dissapointed that my Dolphins played their worst game of the season. Pennington choked when the pressure was on. You can't turn the ball over 5 times and expect to win.

The Defence did an excellent job, but were often coming on the the field within their own 20 due to an interception or turnover.

I actually feel somewhat bad for the Dolphines because of the story, but I don't know how much I'd hang that on pennington. Two of those interceptions were awesome plays by Ed Reed, that I think he is the only player in the NFL that can make. Ravens, IMO, are just that good of a team now that they have an offence that can actualy move the ball. I put th eRavens on the same level as Tennesse right now and I'd say they are better than Pittsburg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYSgfYFKLhc&feature=related' target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYSgfYFKLhc...feature=related[/post]

Most of the INTs were balls that never shouldn't have been thrown in that direction. With each interception having 2 or more Ravens in excellent position while covering the intended receiver.

Obviously you put blame on the QB when 5 picks are thrown. But I know his first pick it went barely over Ginns had and had he jumped properly he would have caught it. The deep ball that Reed picked probably doens't get picked if the Dolphines receive doesn't fall and than he 2nd pick. If you watch a different angle you see how fast Reed closed the gap. The inital read by penington was a throw that he said because Reed was deep zone, but he closed the gap so fast that the read went away.

The rest are on him though, but by then the Dolphins were already out. I was disapointed in their offense in this one. Didn't see alot of creativity and they really had no answer to the Ravens d in any way. No screens to halt the blitzs, or swing passes. Their drive where they started to move the ball they got the ball in Ronnie Browns hands and the moved the chains. They also seem to panic whenever the wildcat doesn't work.

DIVISIONAL PLAYOFF WEEKEND

Moving on to the division week of the NFL playoffs. I was only 2-2 thanks to what I woudl call a choke job by the Colts.

This week's matchups.

Saturday:

Baltimore at Tennesse

Arizona at Carolina

Sunday

Philladelphia at New York Giants

San Diego at Pittsburg.

My Picks:

Ravens at Titans: Ravens.

Going with a bit of an upset here, but I really like the Ravens. Tennesse beat them early on in the season when Joe Flacco was not what he has been lately. The Ravens D is IMO, the best in the NFL by a step. These are two very similar teams. The two x factors are Flacco versus Collins (essentiall rookie versus veteran) and the two defences. Because Tennese doens't do anything shematically to really confuse Flacco I think he'll have an effecient day. Ravens however, are likely to cause a couple turnovers and becuase they can stop the run, I think the Ravens win a very close one.

Cardinals at Panthers: Panthers

Panthers are a really hard team to stop for a good defensive team, now they face an average one in the Cardinals. Yes the Cardinals limited Turner, but the Key to the Panthers is the two headed running back, both of which are different. Plus, Falcons had a rookie QB and don't have Steve Smith. Panthers too. This one could end up being a decent score, but I think the Panthers take it.

Eagles at Giants: Giants.

Very tough one to pick and i've gone back and forth. Both teams run similar defences, and the Eagles did beat the Giants earlier in the season, but I'll have to go with the G men. Two reasons, 1- when the Eagles won earlier I think the Giants fell into a trap game and 2 - I don't see Andy Reid getting Westbrook invovled enough to overcome the Giants powerful run game. I think this will be a close, lower scoring affair, but I like the Giants to win by at best a field goal. I wasn't impressed enough with the Eagles at the vikings to think they can do it two weeks in a row against a much better team.

Chargers at Steelers: Steelers

Chargers played well in Indy, but I think it was the decision to call a dumb play on 3rd down with 2:20 to go that gave them the win and not there actual play. Yes Sproles had a great game, but Indy can't stop the run. Steelers can. The Steelers D wins this game as I don't like their offence. I should be something like 13-10, but I dont' think the Chargers offence is good enough to put up alot of points on the Steelers D, and I dont' think the Chargers D can make the D hard enough for Rothleisburger and the Offence to keep them from putting up enough to win.

Can't believe the Chargers. I'm still bummed I was only able to make it to one Chargers home game this season, but w/e.

I don't think they can pull off the upset, not at Pittsburgh and with LT out. Sure, Sproles seems to have done very well, but I don't have a good gut feeling about this game...

I'm a huge Ravens fan so it's nice to see how they did this year considering how embarrassing last year was. They were the "1" in the Dolphins 1-15 record. :(

Seems like some people are really underestimating both conference champions though for whatever reason, Titans will be a tough game for the Ravens but if the run D can step up it should be a tight low scoring game that the Ravens can win.

Giants are going to repeat!

I hope to god not <_<

My picks:

Ravens, Eagles (okay, they probably won't win but I hope they do!), Panthers and Steelers

God darn it, every team I cheer for is/has lost. I like the Titans and Falcons and I wanted Carolina to beat the Cards for revenge, and I wanted the Dolpins to win last week just for the awesome story. Now I can only hope the Steelers win for a friend.

The Ravens shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, a great defensive battle. But it was pretty much no contest between the Cardinals and the Panthers.

Wow, 5 INT's, and a fumble, pretty much every turnover on the QB. The only one that wasn't his fault was the double tip interception, and even then his intended receiver was the 2nd to tip the ball.

The Cardinals really ate up the clock well tonight as well. That helped the control the game more as they continued to build their lead.

Woohoo! Giants lost! :D

Every game thus far has been an upset, technically speaking. Can the Chargers make it 8-for-8? Tied 7-7 early, should be a good game.

Disapointed that the Giants lost but not surprised. Eli was not good today and seemed to struggle with the wind. The D kept it close though.

Go Cardinals, now. Stupid Eagles.

Baltimore would be alright now too.

Right On Steelers!!!!!!! Great Game Today.

On to next week and those looser Ravens.

Pound them Steelers!!!!!!!

Superbowl Baby Here we come nfl_pittsburgh_steelers.gif

If the eagles can get pressure on Warrener they will have a good shot, but if they give him even a bit of time in the pocket he's going to pick them apart.

As much as i want the ravens to win i think the steelers are going to take it. But if the ravens do win, i can see ray ray getting another championship.

Last stop before the big game.

CONFERENCE FINAL WEEK

AFC CHAMPIONSHIP:

Baltimore Ravens at Pittsburg Steelers: Steelers

I really like the Ravens, and they've been one of the teams I pointed to at the start of the playoffs. I intialled like the Steelers, but their Oline has been beat up in recent weeks. However, they looked like the came together last week. Main thing is, i don't think the Ravens can score enough points to beat the Steelers. Their offence is good, but against that D I think they would be lucky to get 13 or 16 and I don't think thats enough.

NFC CHAMPIONSHP:

Philadelphis Eagles at Arizona Cardinals: Eagles

Its tough to pick against the Cardinals because they give you the same feeling the Giants did last year. However, at the same time so do the Eagles.

The cardinals have proven doubters, me included, wrong and can stop the run. Problems is, Eagles don't rely on the run like the last two teams they've faced. Shutting down the run against Carolina forced Delhomme, who is an avg QB at best, to throw more and look what happend. However, the Eagles game plan is to throw and use screens which should expose an avg linebacker core in Arizone. Combine that with a Jim Johsnon lead defence that seems to find the weakness of every team it plays against and I think the Eagles go to the Super Bowl for the 2nd time.