The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nascar driver get suspended for juicing?

Sounds a lot like that Canadian snowboarder from not too long ago who got his gold medal taken away for smoking pot.

The only performance enhancing drug I can think of that would be of any use for a driver is Ritalin, and even that's a stretch.

The article says nothing about it being steroids, or a performance enhancing drug. All it says is that it is a banned substance, which theoretically could be cough syrup. That being said, NASCAR has a track record of really controlling their drivers to be idealistic members of society (swearing will warrent a swift fine)

Sounds a lot like that Canadian snowboarder from not too long ago who got his gold medal taken away for smoking pot.

The only performance enhancing drug I can think of that would be of any use for a driver is Ritalin, and even that's a stretch.

um....Ross Rebagliati is the snowboarder and he still has his medal.

Same reason Phelps got suspended for pot. I dont want my kid to watch his idol do drugs and not get in trouble for it, its not because it would help him win, its because it defaces the sport. Same reason sports people get fined for fingering the crowed, same reason Vick got suspended.

The "banned substance" could be anything and it doesn't necessarily have to be "performance enhancing" either. If they suspended him for cocaine, for instance, it would be because he is endangering himself and other drivers by driving stoned. If its banned and he got caught using then a suspension must be given.

He hasd tested positive for methamphetamine

NASCAR officials maintain that Mayfield tested positive for methamphetamine, an allegation he continues to deny. From the beginning, he has said a combination of Adderall (for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) and Claritin-D (for allergies) resulted in a false positive test.

The levorotary form of methamphetamine, called levomethamphetamine, is an over-the-counter drug used in inhalers for nasal decongestion.

He has reportedly tested positive yet a second time now.

Should be interesting to see how far this all goes. Most likely he'll never race again in any level of NASCAR. He's been black flagged (no pun intented) in the eyes of any possible sponsor. Due to all of the legal proceedings, loss of sponsorship, and having been under suspention (which a judge lifted) he no longer has the means to fund his team. So even if Mayfield proves that he's telling the truth, he'll most likely never be able to race in NASCAR again due to his reputation being destroyed by all of this.

I can see them testing for substances that, if he were on, he may be endangering the other drivers.. i wouldnt want to be in line next to a guy *&%*ed up