Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The_Don

Football (the pigskin kind)

40 posts in this topic

It will be a very interesting year for the Lions this season. Personally I think we lost way too many guys, mostly to the NFL, to keep up with Calgary and Saskatchewan, and maybe even Edmonton.

IMO it looks like a repeat for Calgary this year, barring any outstanding injuries. It is almost an identical team to last year, and the fact that they have the Grey Cup in Calgary this year.

Being a Stampeders fan, I'm just as excited to watch the Riders fail this year, as I don't see how they have made any improvement to their team from last year, that really wasn't that outstanding.

Edmonton made some improvements, and I still think Ricky Ray is the best QB in the CFL, and now they have Jesse Lumsden(hopefully his injury-prone career prolongs).

I still think a crossover is very feasable this year from West to East, but it should be a very entertaining season to say the least

So far I'm the only one who doesn't enjoy the NFL, but I'm only one of seven so far. There's nothing in that league that really excites me. I was more interested when Flutie, Garcia, and Dickenson were all there at the same time.

I like the fact the Stamps haven't done a whole lot to change the roster. I'm of the same mind that consistency wins championships, and with the vast majority of the players returning from last year, I can see us winning the Grey Cup again.

But there are still kinks. It seemed last year we lost to the teams we should have beaten (Winnipeg and Edmonton), but won games we had no business winning. I hope we do repeat as champs, my Dad and brother have season tix, hope to get to the Grey Cup game in November.

So far I'm the only one who doesn't enjoy the NFL, but I'm only one of seven so far. There's nothing in that league that really excites me.

I know people who feel the same way, and its probably because of being acustom to the faster paced more exciting game in the CFL, having ony 3 downs and all. But I find the NFL very exciting, they have better athletes by far, and some of the things you see down there are amazing. CFL or NFL, I could sit for a couple hours and watch either

I've always enjoyed the NFL more than the CFL. It's more cerebral, while the CFL has the "chuck it up and see what happens" mentality. Both can be enjoyable but I follow the NFL (GO PACKERS!) much more than the hometown product.

Some people here in Regina take it very personally that I prefer the NFL to the CFL. It's like they think I'm not being Canadian enough. It's not like the CFL is purely Canadian anyway, most of the players come from the States. Of course the same kind of people cheer for any Canadian team to win the cup even when most of the players are Canadian no matter what team they are on.

I've always enjoyed the NFL more than the CFL. It's more cerebral, while the CFL has the "chuck it up and see what happens" mentality. Both can be enjoyable but I follow the NFL (GO PACKERS!) much more than the hometown product.

Some people here in Regina take it very personally that I prefer the NFL to the CFL. It's like they think I'm not being Canadian enough. It's not like the CFL is purely Canadian anyway, most of the players come from the States. Of course the same kind of people cheer for any Canadian team to win the cup even when most of the players are Canadian no matter what team they are on.

Your from Regina and like the NFL more? Wow, I'm surprised you haven't been banned from the province. But I agree, the NFL is definately a more strategic game than the CFL. But I do have a lot of respect for CFL players, because of the fact that they don't even make a regular person's year salary for playing, to me that speaks volumes about dedication vs the NFL and how many players end up in prison 3 or 4 times a year.

(Go Bears :P)

I'd rather watch paint dry than football.

Although, I usually sit down for the Greycup.

The only sports I can stand watching on a TV are hockey and soccer, everything else(especially baseball)is a waste of time.

The only sports I can stand watching on a TV are hockey and soccer, everything else(especially baseball)is a waste of time.

Really? I find that soccer is THE slowest and most difficult game to watch, I mean I liked the old NHL, because of the importance of defence, but when a 3 goal game is a rarety, I find that real hard to watch

Really? I find that soccer is THE slowest and most difficult game to watch, I mean I liked the old NHL, because of the importance of defence, but when a 3 goal game is a rarety, I find that real hard to watch

I can understand why you think soccer is difficult to watch, heck sometimes I can't stand watching a match so I shut down the tube and do something else. I enjoy watching soccer though, because I played it as a kid growing up on youth teams, so I understand everything about the game and I can aprecciate the high end skill some of the other guys have. I wish my parents would have enrolled me in hockey, but, as you know, hockey is so damn expensive when compared to soccer. I don't even play ice hockey yet and I'm 19, I do play inline hockey and savor every second of it. :blink: Come to think of it, I should start playing ice hockey

I'm a big fan of both leagues. Hard for me to say if i'm a fan of one more than the other. I always go back to a prefer the game in the CFL, but the players in the NFL are far better.

Huge Stamps fan, and huge Packer fan. Follow both almost as much as I follow the Flames.

Stamp do have some question marks on the front 7 they are going to have to figure out. Yes, Mike Labinjo is a beat, but Mike Labinjo was also quite the unknown last year. He didn't draw many double teams and I think this year he is going to. Someone else on that dlin is really going to have to step up and pressure and collapse. The Stamps were only ok at that last year anyway, but Labinjo coming on strong at the end made a huge difference. They also had freeman inside that made stopping the run easier, something they were great at last year. I know they brought in some guys on the line they really like, but they'll need someone to step up.

I think Edmonton is really improved and is going to battle CGY for the division. Big problem with Edm last year was their defence. They couldn't stop drives. They could get some big plays here and there, but stopping drives was a killer. Their offence would put them in positions to win, but their defence just couldn't hold it. Brining in Richie Hall should really help as he runs a pretty unspectacular, but very effective, shutdown d. They also signed one of the Roughride linebackers which makes their system easier to execute.

I think BC might be in a touch of a "rebuilding" year. Losing Cam Wake is huge, as well as Rob Murphy. Wally always finds talent, and a way to get it done but I think BC took a step back this offseason.

I'm not high on Sask. Lost two of their better playmakers on D, lost their corrdinator, and still have uncertainty at QB. They'll be good, but I woudln't be suprised to see them last in the West.

East is a crap shoot. Montreal is really the only "good" team. I don't like Winnipeg has done this offseason, hamilton is getting there but has so many needs, and TO is just a mess right now.

Your from Regina and like the NFL more? Wow, I'm surprised you haven't been banned from the province. But I agree, the NFL is definately a more strategic game than the CFL. But I do have a lot of respect for CFL players, because of the fact that they don't even make a regular person's year salary for playing, to me that speaks volumes about dedication vs the NFL and how many players end up in prison 3 or 4 times a year.

(Go Bears :P )

There's probably something to be said for CFL players just doing it for the love of the game, but they still have their share of jackasses. Trevis Smith anyone?

There's probably something to be said for CFL players just doing it for the love of the game, but they still have their share of jackasses. Trevis Smith anyone?

i had no idea having unprotected sex while knowingly having a disease and not telling them is aggravated sexual assault.

now i know what to sue my ex for... jk

Huge Ravens Fan here.

2/3 of the Earth is covered by water. The other 1/3 is covered by Ed Reed.

and it rains whenever he gets a pick 6.

You know what I'd like to see?  Some preseason exhibition games between NFL and CFL teams.  The rule changes would probably be hard to accommodate, but the simplest way to fix this is would just play half NFL rules/ half CFL rules. 

I have one friend who is SOOO convinced that the talent and skill in the CFL is equal to the talent and skill in the NFL, so I'd love to see an NFL team walk all over a CFL team.

This happened in the 50s and 60s and the NFL team took the series of games 6-1.

www.mmbolding.com/BSR/Candian_Football_League_vs_National_Football_League.htm

I'm a Packers fan myself although I must say how angry I've been at Bretty Favre since his comeback, totally ruined his reputation imo.

^^^

As a Packer fan I would agree. It injured his reputation, but I think itn 3-4 years he'll be back in terms of how Packer Nation feels about him.

IN terms of an exhibition series, I don't think its fesible. I'd have to suggest your buddy just isn't right. I mean its pretty clear the CFL is a downgrade if players who can barely stay on the practice squad in the NFL, star in the CFL.

But IMO, that games are far more different than people suggest. I know football is football, but the two games are completely different in terms of philosophies, defense's, offense's and type of players. I'd say about a 3rd of the linebakcers in the CFL would play DB of Safety down south. Most of the Dts in the CFL are ends downsouth. Very different games. CFL is all about speed, whereas NFL is far more preoccipied with Size.

Laugh at me now...

go Buccaneers!

I don't know much about the CFL or the NFL, found it cool that my aunt knows a few players in the Eskies though, other than that, meh. I love going to a game in September...

now thinking of that scottish dude I met, bahahahaha

I'm a huge CFL Fan, GO STAMPS, and will occasionally watch an NFL game. I find their version way to slow. Gotta say though I'm a big Giants Fan, way back to the Lawrence Taylor days.

Pre-Season's been pretty interesting so far. What do you guys think?

The Cardinals are 0-2 X.X

And I swear to god if we lose to Green Bay tonight on Home Turf.