The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rosalie52

Calgary Stampeders 2009

Cross hit it right on the head. Our D line was amazingly craptastic last night and once again untimely penalties on Calgary's part kept drives going for the Eskies. One whale of a ball game though and credit Edmonton for not giving up. Right now they deserve to be the best team in the West for sure.

How does Burris get 474 yards, 3 touchdown passes and the Stamps still don't win the game?

Answer: Brutal special teams and defensive coverage. The Stamps allowed Edmonton's special teams to get fantastic field position for almost every drive (note the 71 yard punt return by Tristan Jackson), and from there Ricky Ray just picked apart our defense.

Time to fire Chris Jones

IT has nothing to do with the two safety system. Its all fundamentals. The D line is doing a brutal job, plain and simple. YOur D line is not just about pressure and collapsing the pocket. They need to get off blocks and eat up all the O linemen so linebackers can be free to make plays. Winnipeg and Edmonton were both able to get blockers into the 2nd level (linebackers) and take a linebacker which equals to an automatic big gain because when you play man to man the corners are not in a position to make tackles in the run game. It doesn't help when they dont' tackle well either but its all fundamentals not personel.

I've bee concenred about the Stamps d line right from training camp and IMO Barker and Huffnagel are to blame. Eddie Freeman last year was a force inside. He was eating a block or two and letting linebackers make plays. What did they do? they cut him for smaller players. The Stamps D line doesn't have the strength inside they need. They focused too much on a pass run and not enough on size and strenght and now they are paying for it.

And yes I am aware of Mike Labinjo, and there is no doubt him being out has significant reprocussions in terms of run defence. But my answer to that, is to me you have a serious fundamental problem if 1 player can be lost and your entire defence crumbles. So i don't buy that for a second that labinjo healthy makes all the difference. If thats the case, the Stamps had a poorer off season that even I thought.

Thanks cross.  If I wasn't still so emotional when I wrote that, I might have said what you did.  My kids asked me last night if I really had to yell at the TV.  That was with under a minute left and Jackson (I think) ran a punt back for 40 yards. mad.gif

I think it was too easy to blame the two-safety system, but I agree with what you said, it needs to be the fundamentals.  And size definitely helps.

For sure we are missing Labinjo, but after the West final and Grey Cup, teams noticed.  That was his coming out, and now that everyone sees how effective he can be, they can pay more attention to him.  But as a team, they need to step up in his place.  A healthy Labinjo would make a difference, just not all the of it.

Anyway, disappointing loss, we need to come back next week and take it!

How does Burris get 474 yards, 3 touchdown passes and the Stamps still don't win the game?

Answer: Brutal special teams and defensive coverage. The Stamps allowed Edmonton's special teams to get fantastic field position for almost every drive (note the 71 yard punt return by Tristan Jackson), and from there Ricky Ray just picked apart our defense.

Time to fire Chris Jones

Lets calm down for a few minutes here.

Chris Jones is the same D coordinator who had the best defence in the league last year and won the Grey Cup. Yes, the defence is struggling this year, but lets also remember they are starting 2 CFL rookie halfbacks, a rookie MLB, and virtually all of their defensive line, save for Labinjo and Robede are CFL rookies as well.

yes, there are serious problems but this is not a scheme. I've been dissapointed with some of Chris Jones' play calls, but to call for him to be fired is misguided and way premature. its not his fault the Stamps thoughts it be a good idea to retool their entire defensive line in the offseason.

[quote name='cross16 wrote:

littlereddevil']How does Burris get 474 yards, 3 touchdown passes and the Stamps still don't win the game?

Time to fire Chris Jones

Lets calm down for a few minutes here.

Chris Jones is the same D coordinator who had the best defence in the league last year and won the Grey Cup. Yes, the defence is struggling this year, but lets also remember they are starting 2 CFL rookie halfbacks, a rookie MLB, and virtually all of their defensive line, save for Labinjo and Robede are CFL rookies as well.

yes, there are serious problems but this is not a scheme. I've been dissapointed with some of Chris Jones' play calls, but to call for him to be fired is misguided and way premature. its not his fault the Stamps thoughts it be a good idea to retool their entire defensive line in the offseason.

Sorry I guess I overreacted a little bit too much (I was frustrated about the loss), so I spilt out all my thoughts here.

Pretty good win for the Stamps. Took them awhile to finally settle into their game (which wasn't until the 4th quarter).

Their defense played well for them tonight, as did special teams.

Just hope they pick up the consistency and Calgary might be able to win the Labour Day Classic!

Why? So they an have a full time distraction in their lineup?

Pacman has clearly proven he has no interest in changing his behavior. I'd liek to see him in the CFL, but there is no way they Stamps should bother.

I guess i forgot to type this, but i was thinking for more of a gimmick set of plays like Vick is doing in Philly and put him on offense using him as a WR or RB. He has way more talent than the majority of the guys in the CFL, given the CFL is a harder game to play, i don't think any team in the league that he joined would look at him as a serious role. He's just trying to get reinstated and play football in the mean time.

^^^

He is also a major cancer and a first rate idiot. He doesn't have the mental capacity to be playing football. The Stamps learned the hard way from Lawrence Phillips, and don't need another head case on their team. Pac man doenst' give a rat's %!@ about the CFL and likely would play like it.

No smart GM would touch him. Thts why the only team that was looking at him was Winnipeg.

Easily the best the Stamps have played in all 3 facets of the game. Everything was clicking even special teams who IMO were the unsung heros last night. Did an amazing job containing Tristan Jackson and even were missing their best Gunner (cover guy) in Browner.

It took about 3 -4 years, but the Stamps finally figured out the best way to stop Ricky Ray. Take away his deep stuff, and blitz every so often and you'll contain Ray and the Eskimo offence. Especially now that their offensive line is not as strong as it use to be. Playing straight man to man has really burned the Stamps against the Eskimos because Ray is so good at recognizing when he has one on one and using it to his advantage. Best in the CFL at it IMO. But with Zone all he had was the underneath stuff and thats not going to win you any games. Especially when your still able to blitz every 5 or 6 plays.

I've been very critcal of the Stamps coaching staff, and rightfully so I think, but I give them a ton of credit last year. Chris Jones scheme was perfect, and I think Cortez's playcalling was excellent for the first time all year. Rythem was perfect, mix was excellent, and they really exploieted the aggresive zone style of the Esks. I also credit Huffnagel for realzing he didn't have the D personel to get things done. Claybrooks, Johnson, and Fairbanks were all minor moves, but have paid off huge. And Howard Hodges, the starting DE from the Grey Cup last year, is on his way back as well. labinjo should be back this month as well and suddently a weak D line becomes one of the better ones in the league IMO. Things could look up for the Stamps in the second half.

Their best game of the year so far. Copeland was a monster and imo has the best play of the week for that one handed catch. The newcomers on the D line did an outstanding job on the run and the secondary had their best outing of the year. After last week's nail-biter with Toronto I felt uneasy with last night's game. But after watching the first quarter, you could just see Edmonton was going to get nothing done for the rest of the game. Great game, good win, and go get 'em on Friday boys.

^^

Nice! (I touched my screen)

Great game, the boys did an excellent job of everything. Cross gave a great breakdown up there. Just an all around good effort, now they need to carry it over to Friday. I think they can do it again.

And I can't wait till Browner and Labinjo are both back. Two of my favorite guys this year.

Well, I didn't watch too much of the game last night (due to the online draft for the FFL), but I did watch the comeback. What a finish!

It ain't over till the fat lady sings!

Really thought, there were only 3 good things about last nights games.

1. Copeland - guy has been unreal since Rambo went down.

2. Defence - Stampeders D from last year I think we can say is back. 3 fantastic games in a row. Sure they gave up more rushing yards, but they won't the game for the Stamps without question. Offence was not good last night.

3. Burris showed veteran savy when he needed to. I thought he was pretty bad all night save for the last half of the 4th quarter. when they needed him, he was there.

The rest was not good. Stamps were very fortunate to win last night but still have to give them credit for the win.

I hope they have what it takes for the Grey Cup, but, yeah cross, they didn't really look that good. A couple two-and-outs, more interceptions than I can remember, and just took too long for Burris to get going. I just hope things get straightened out before we face a hot Ti-Cats squad on Friday. Even thought they lost last week, they shouldn't be taken lightly.