The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rosalie52

Calgary Stampeders 2009

From TSN

The Calgary Stampeders acquired receivers RombyBryant and Arjei Franklin from the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in ablockbuster deal Sunday for receivers Jabari Arthur and Titus Ryan,plus defensive lineman Odell Willis.

Calgary also gets a third-round pick in
and the rights to an unnamed negotiation-list player, while fourth and sixth round picks in
went to Winnipeg.

With Thelwell suffering a possible career-ending injury this is just what the doctor ordered.  Don't know what's up with Winnipeg this year but we'll take their bone-headed trades that favor us and leave them with nothing.  Wouldn't mind taking Simpson off their hands either.

This isn't a bad trade by winnipeg. Bryant wanted outed, and Franklin wasn't happy thre and apparantly is a free agen this year too. I think alot of people are going to say this is a brutal trade because they don't know who Jabari Arthur is. Arthur is hurt and has struggled with injuries. If he hadn't there was a lot of talk the Stamps were going to release Copeland for him. he is also Canadian so he'll be a important ratio player for them and has the potential to be a top Canadian receive in the league. Ryan is a soild 4/5 guy and gives you value in the return game, and Willis is a solid D line rotation guy.Considering they would have lost Franklin anyway, and Bryant wasn't healthy, its a ok trade on a paper. Bombers are rebuidling.

Its still great for the Stamps beucase they give up 1 impactfull player to get 2. Willis was done with the addition of Terrius George and Hughes, and arthur was only going to be a roatation guy anyway. Franklin gives them flexiablity with the ration and Bryant gives them a legit wide out. I think its a fairly fair trade on paper, but Arthur will need to get on the field to make it fair for the bombers.

Holee, we barely pulled out the win vs. Hamilton, that was a nail biter right to the end. I only saw the second half, but we looked brutal! Too many two-and-outs, and just great D by both teams, I really hope by Monday they have the whole thing figured out. If not, we may get creamed. Go Stamps Go! Let's kick some Alouette butt!

Hokey Smash!!! Henry Burris and his receivers are really out of sync right now!! ... or is the offence playing "rope-a-dope" to make everyone believe that they won't be a threat? They better worry about making the playoffs before they do that though.

Thankfully Joffrey Reynolds and the defence are playing well right now... but they need a little more help.

Guest jsheajr

Intersting run for the Finals.

Calgary is in it, Montreal, possibly the Bombers and the Argos. And we're playing in Calgary this year.

Well, back into Regina this weekend, hopefully now the Stamps realize what it will take to win there. Everything in me is wanting BC to lose, but I think if they beat Montreal, and Calgary wins, and BC - CGY Grey Cup would rock!

The Stamps were god awful today. Burris was Bad Hank and the defense was chasing all over the place today.

Oh well, can't always repeat!

The irony of the "13th" man is unbelievable. When cuthbert first said that I have to admit I laughed pretty hard, althought I honestly feel bad for Saskatchewan, not really their fans but the team. Thats a horrible way to lose, but at the same time Als deserve a ton of credit. they sliced through the Sask D when they had to and are totally deserving of this victory IMO.

Jason Armstead, althought I think the coach coming out and accepting blame has taken it away.

Its believed to be Armstead for 2 reason. 1 - FG block unit was called and thus it would negate the need for a returner. 2 - its a returner's job to count the men, althought if I remember correctly Sask was out of timeouts so all he could have done is try to run off the field as fast as he could.

So its more than just him, but as of right now he'll get singled out as the scapegoat.

I was at the game and I can't quite describe exactly what it felt like.

I've never seen ~60 000 Riders fans been silent like that. Usually in defeat we're at least drunk and boisterous. Ugh. I almost cried.

Jason Armstead, althought I think the coach coming out and accepting blame has taken it away.

Its believed to be Armstead for 2 reason. 1 - FG block unit was called and thus it would negate the need for a returner. 2 - its a returner's job to count the men, althought if I remember correctly Sask was out of timeouts so all he could have done is try to run off the field as fast as he could.

So its more than just him, but as of right now he'll get singled out as the scapegoat.

It was easily just confusion I don't believe he was paying attention, but nothing he could do with no timeouts, the only other alternative at that time if someone on the line had noticed is to jump offsides for a 5 yarder, but no way he gets off the field in time.  Atleast Rider nation has grown up a little bit from the Paul McCallum thing a few years back.

I do wonder if they will stop reffering to their fans as the 13th man though.

Personally, I wouldn't even blame Armstead. I think the blame goes on the whole unit becuase as you said its a communication breakdown that you can't have. That stuff shoudln't happen in the first game of the year let alone when the grey cup is on the line. Poor communication is on everyone.

But based on what i've read, and what I expect, Armstead is probably going to be the guy most people point to. But there was little he could do once everyone was on the field.

Speculation is that it is now Sean Lucas who wasn't supposed to be out there, not sure how that is. If I were coaching I would have an extra guy to attempt blocking since a missed kick through the endzone only gives one point when they needed 2, but I don't know what goes through the minds of CFL coaches most the time.

TSN viewed the replay over and over and determined it was Sean Lucas. however, they are saying that because Sean Lucas was on the field for the 13th man penalty, and not when the kick was made.

Far too simplistic of a thesis. They could have called a different play or different personnal so its difficult to say who it was and probably only the coach knows. Sean Lucas is a posibility becuase if I remember correctly he got banged up in that game and perhaps the coaches took him off the unit but he either forgot or got caught up in the moment and ran on. But ultimately I doubt we will ever know and nor should we. No coach in their right mind, or player, should release that to the public. Whoever it was is going to ahve to live with it and doesn't need the extra pressure of the fans knowing.

I would tend to agree. The only danger is the kicker running down into the end zone and falling on the ball for a score but at least a few guys on the cover team can out run a kicker. Thats the only danger with having no returner back there, because Montreal did not have a player that started behind the kicker.