The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The_People1

Vegas 200-To-1 Odds Of Winning Cup

Definitely not cup contenders this year, or next year (strictly my opinion).

However, if this list is reflective of how the overall standings shake out (keeping the betting odds strictly out of it), I don't think the Flames end up last overall this season, either.

To keep this thread on track, though.....I don't agree.  Swap odds with Florida.

After seeing how the end of last season panned out, I would have Florida, Colorado, Nashville, and Carolina lower than the Flames in the standings.  They aren't going to want to miss out on Ekblad and Reinhart.

I expect them to finish in the bottom 3.  Determining the order of the bottom 3 is a bit of a crapshoot.

However, it's important to note that these are Vegas odds based on bets that are placed, not a prediction of standings nor a prediction of who will win.  With that in mind, who would seriously have the cajones to place a bet on the Flames at this point?

I expect them to finish in the bottom 3.  Determining the order of the bottom 3 is a bit of a crapshoot.

However, it's important to note that these are Vegas odds based on bets that are placed, not a prediction of standings nor a prediction of who will win.  With that in mind, who would seriously have the cajones to place a bet on the Flames at this point?

Meh, you drop $50 bucks.  The Flames don't win the cup, you lose $50.  The Flames pull an '04 and magically win, you get a nice $10,000 payday.

Exactly what I was thinking too.  How are the Flames not 1000/1 odds?  Is there a cap for odds at Vegas?

I don't think anyone who knows anything about hockey would put any money on the Flames to "win the Cup".  Yes, things could happen during the course of the season to change the dynamics of our perception of the team, like for example, Baertschi scores 50 goals, Feaster pulls a trade of the Century to bring in a Stud C, D, and G.  If "all" of those happen, then the Flames would go 180 and justify 200/1.

crazy_train.gif

I guess Edmonton has a huge improvement this year. Didn't they give them better odds last year?

I kind of hope they finish last, but I think they have too much pride and will finish bottom 5 and maybe move down a spot instead of drafting 6th next year they draft 5th.

I posted this in the Return of Stanley thread just over a week ago...   http://fans.flames.nhl.com/community/topic/19619-return-of-the-stanley-cup/

I think That it is possible that the Flames could win the cup in about 5 or 6 years if all goes well...

The Vegas oddsmakers don't hold up much hope for the team this year though...  

They have set the Flames odds at 200 to 1...   :blink:

708c314be4e6627f7935f71fe749b919.png

7519366fa8b31702d637d31693566de3.png

2dd951d7f5786c34641a846db56ddc30.png

As Deeds pointed out, the odds range between 100-1 to 200-1...   Either way, it`s certainly not a vote of confidence...  

Penguins at the top......NOOOO C'MON???

Pens must be the most predicted team to win the cup every year and fall short. You're almost better off putting your money on them to not go and got better odds of winning money.

Don't know if we will be dead last, and infact I don't expect it but we probably will and should end up in the bottom 10.

Now having said that one or two trades / FA signings and we pull up to the middle of the pack fringe contender quite possibly.

Kipper hid a LOT of flaws in this team over the years and they are about to be exposed to all those too oblivious to see them.  Now Mac is gonna step up I am sure and it's not like our goaltending cupboard is bare, it's more like it's stocked with good stuff we just don't know if any of it's already past it's best before date.

We are finally going to see what they can bring to the table and if it's a respectable A game then fantastic.  If it's basically a season where it's our choice of 2B backup goalies ... well things get nasty in a hurry I think.

Basically we don't have a "star" in any position, not F not D not G so if this teams going to compete then they need to become the lunch bucket gang.   They will need to just plain out work the other teams for a shot at a 3-2 win, personally I am OK with that.  The most entertaining Flames hockey has been when the team was one that simply ground their opponent down on the ice and on the scoreboard.

I for one am looking forward to Flames hockey this season, though I really wish Kipper was sticking out that last year I COMPLETELY understand and respect him for bowing out now and letting it just happen.  It's going to be hard to choose between Kipper, Lanny and Theo for my fave Flame in the next couple years I am sure but in the end they are heads and shoulder above all other flames in my Top 3.

I agree with them, but I also think we have an opportunity to be ranked near or at the top within a few years.

Reinhart and McDavid, please.