The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I looked at it like he signed here to be in a stable organization, and not end up exposed or traded.

I think the chance of a rebuild in the next 1-3 years is very low.

The problem with quoting JJ is you come off sounding like you agree with him.  He thinks Markstrom sucks.  Doesn't think we ever should have signed him and the results of the last 13 games are his justification for trading him.  Well, if anything, we've seen that we can make almost any goalie look bad.  Before he was injured, he was left out to dry how many times? 

I think we are somewhere between adding good young players and a rebuild.

We have dead weight that is killing us.

Lucic, Gio and Backlund are fine players most of the time, and some days are great.  But that's $17m on three guys that are not top 6 or top pairing anymore.

Monahan having a down year in one thing (who's his RW'er again), but he's not the guy charged with preventing goals.

Lucic with brutal giveaways.

Backlund with missed assignments.

Gio with declining play.

Could that not be better spent on a $7m C that plays 200 foot all of the time, a $5m winger that can score and a $4m young D-man that is actually getting better?

No, I don't think that fixes the team, but would be a good start.  Unless the culture problem is with the young players like Tkachuk and Gaudreau. 

ya totally! 

I saw someone on the Flames Nation message comments say something along the lines of, Simon, Nordstrom, Stone. Leivo and I forget who else, but they add up to some good money that would fill a need with as well. 

I like how you’re thinking. I see them going the route you suggest. I sure hope we can jump the queue in the lottery this year. Getting something really good to star could be a huge plus for the team. 

I do agree with JJ sometimes, so I don’t mind if people think I am... I do think it almost doesn’t matter what goalie you put in, even the best goalies get scored on, and I think they’d also be in the flames’ predicament if we had the best goalie. 

maybe this year is a good year to draft a D and possibly get a first pair D that borders on elite? That’s JJ’s thought. I know I should take it with a grain of salt (anyone’s opinion of the draft classes’ strength), but if it is rich in D, we could use some future franchise D’s.

I can see the culture problem being with Gaudreau over Tkachuk. Tkachuk seems to be hockey culture royalty. I think it’s a matter of too many head Chefs and not enough sous’s. 

ir I wonder if it is a matter of giving Tkachuk’s contract and it being larger than all others along with that 9m end to it, which will result in a huge payload.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, robrob74 said:

ya totally! 

I saw someone on the Flames Nation message comments say something along the lines of, Simon, Nordstrom, Stone. Leivo and I forget who else, but they add up to some good money that would fill a need with as well. 

I like how you’re thinking. I see them going the route you suggest. I sure hope we can jump the queue in the lottery this year. Getting something really good to star could be a huge plus for the team. 

I do agree with JJ sometimes, so I don’t mind if people think I am... I do think it almost doesn’t matter what goalie you put in, even the best goalies get scored on, and I think they’d also be in the flames’ predicament if we had the best goalie. 

maybe this year is a good year to draft a D and possibly get a first pair D that borders on elite? That’s JJ’s thought. I know I should take it with a grain of salt (anyone’s opinion of the draft classes’ strength), but if it is rich in D, we could use some future franchise D’s.

I can see the culture problem being with Gaudreau over Tkachuk. Tkachuk seems to be hockey culture royalty. I think it’s a matter of too many head Chefs and not enough sous’s. 

ir I wonder if it is a matter of giving Tkachuk’s contract and it being larger than all others along with that 9m end to it, which will result in a huge payload.

I agree with some of this. Rumors have it players told chufky to calm it down. If that's the case your asking a player to change his idenity and style that got him to where he is.... Common trend Bennett comes to mind. Also Chucky is not worth 9 million, especially what we have seen this year. The longer we continue to deflect that there is not a cultire issue the worse this gets. The year Peters was here this team looked and played a style which we thought was great but only a fool believed that style wins you a cup. I still go back to poor construction, scouting and development. To have a couple skilled guys that are small is fine but we have to many smaller soft style dman and forwards your set up to fail 

6 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Tkachuk is likely a part of the locker room problem.  He comes off as an, "I'm the star of this team" sort of person.  Not humble.  Not like Giordano who had to work twice as hard his entire life to get to where he is.  Gaudreau also had to overcome a lot to be where he is today.

I mean, who likes to go to work in the office to hear a young kid act like he's the pillar of the whole company?  Must not be fun going to work.

And all that said, results don't need the team to be best friends.  Just get the job done.

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Tkachuk is likely a part of the locker room problem.  He comes off as an, "I'm the star of this team" sort of person.  Not humble.  Not like Giordano who had to work twice as hard his entire life to get to where he is.  Gaudreau also had to overcome a lot to be where he is today.

I mean, who likes to go to work in the office to hear a young kid act like he's the pillar of the whole company?  Must not be fun going to work.

And all that said, results don't need the team to be best friends.  Just get the job done.

Really? I find Tkachuk to be quite the opposite. It seems to me he’s quite honest, wears his heart on his sleeve, calls it like it is, and is trying to take the brunt of the blame being thrown at the team and especially the stars. I find him quite refreshing actually - whereas the rest of the team in their media availability I roll my eyes at the “we need to be better” etc cliche-speak. They say the words but there’s no emotion or real urgency behind any of it. With Tkachuk it’s the opposite. In fact, I think Tkachuk has been negatively affected by this group and their lack of emotion. He has a desire to win, and the leadership group is ok with the status quo. And I’m not even as high up on Tkachuk as most here - my suggestion way back when for him to be the next captain was purely based on character qualities not necessarily on-ice performance. 

edit: thought I’d add this audio clip 

https://pmd.fan960.com/audio_on_demand_2017/TOT-TOpener-20210330-Interview.mp3

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

Really? I find Tkachuk to be quite the opposite. It seems to me he’s quite honest, wears his heart on his sleeve, calls it like it is, and is trying to take the brunt of the blame being thrown at the team and especially the stars. I find him quite refreshing actually - whereas the rest of the team in their media availability I roll my eyes at the “we need to be better” etc cliche-speak. They say the words but there’s no emotion or real urgency behind any of it. With Tkachuk it’s the opposite. In fact, I think Tkachuk has been negatively affected by this group and their lack of emotion. He has a desire to win, and the leadership group is ok with the status quo. And I’m not even as high up on Tkachuk as most here - my suggestion way back when for him to be the next captain was purely based on character qualities not necessarily on-ice performance. 

I totally agree.  Tkachuk comes across as someone who not only wants to win, but also hates losing.  At least publicly, he is the most accountable player on the team.  He is also willing to do the dirty work/play the villain to win.  I don't think the rest of the leadership group has a win at all cost mentality.   Maybe that is the problem?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I don't really know what this team even is.

Gio and Lucic are leaders on the ice by doing.

Where their actions used to define their game, the decline is obvious.

Lead by example means little if the example is bad.

I'm a little leary with Tkachuk due to his ineffective play half this season.

Like Markstrom's play post injury, Tkachuk has a turning point where his game went downhill.

I don't think he is ready to be the C on this team, but he could change that.

Focus on the team needs, not just his own.

Make that play that defines a game.

In the right way. 

I find it a little difficult to figure out players to trade that improve the team.

Trading Monahan only makes sense if you bring in a #1C in some manner.

Trading Gaudreau to bring in a #1C makes sense, but then you defeat the purpose.

That's like getting Iggy a top C by trading Iggy in his prime.

We have Sutter-esque players like Lucic, Gio and Backlund, but they are on the wrong end of 30.

Resetting the team by trading young guys makes no sense if these are the guys you keep.

Hard workers (mostly) yes, but mostly define by slower play.

Best trade assets:

Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Lindholm, Monahan, Mangiapane, Dube, Hanifin, Ras, Valimaki, Rittich, Ryan.

Players most likely to do better with some different players mixed in or slightly different roles:

Same

Players with defined roles and ice time that impact the play of the Flames:

Bennett, Lucic, Backlund, Ritchie, Nordstrom, Gio, Markstrom (injury related)

Pick your poison.  I am fine for now keeping Lucic, as he can be useful for 12 minutes a game.

Don't ask him to be a shutdown player, just make the hits, forecheck and protect the young guys.

Score goals the way you have been doing; we don't need 20.

Gio is a tough move.  On one hand he's your C for years and deserves to be treated well.

On the other hand, he has done nothing to bring the cup closer to the team

Backlund is only a player you keep if you have shipped off all your top C's.

As far as the young guys, evaluate in different situations.

How can you tell what Gaudreau is capable of doing if you can't even play him with Lindholm as the C.

Monahan gets little love, but is it the role he is playing?

See what Monahan can do with Tkachuk and one of Dube and Mangiapane.

Is it smart to only use Lindholm as a C when your depth at RW sucks?

Can Ras and Valimaki take another step by giving them a different partner?

We go safe by playing Hanifin with Tanev.

At some point making the playoffs needs to be given up.

Find out what you have.

Trading guys like Gaudreau and Monahan is not so much about what makes sense from a team construction standpoint, but about asset management. It seems obvious the team construction is off, but even if Johnny is not part of the problem he may not be part of the solution either given his contract status. If we hang on to him for next season, he could walk or demand a larger contract, both of which will set us back if we are needing to rebuild or retool. It would be nice to get a 1C for him, but realistically we should take the best assets we can get whether they be draft picks, prospects, or players.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tmac70 said:

I agree with some of this. Rumors have it players told chufky to calm it down. If that's the case your asking a player to change his idenity and style that got him to where he is.... Common trend Bennett comes to mind. Also Chucky is not worth 9 million, especially what we have seen this year. The longer we continue to deflect that there is not a cultire issue the worse this gets. The year Peters was here this team looked and played a style which we thought was great but only a fool believed that style wins you a cup. I still go back to poor construction, scouting and development. To have a couple skilled guys that are small is fine but we have to many smaller soft style dman and forwards your set up to fail 

well, not only that, you have Monahan who has been soft as silly putty until this season and Lindholm and Backlund are similar players, can play with intensity but aren’t going to rock the other team. 

Lucic can play big... and rough, but if venture to say I don’t see it often enough. He doesn’t always answer the bell either. Not asking him to maul guys but there’s a way to do it that isn’t so bad.

It’s like the argument in the past of making guys pay for getting up in our goalies. They still don’t do it enough. There’s a way to do it without getting penalized and I see it done to us anytime we get into the opposing goalies face... not as bad as before but gotta make it harder for the opposition to play in front of ours and their nets. 

I fully agree with your take. It’s tough to be a Flames fan, and I didn’t see a winner out of the first Peters year. 

1 hour ago, ABC923 said:

Trading guys like Gaudreau and Monahan is not so much about what makes sense from a team construction standpoint, but about asset management. It seems obvious the team construction is off, but even if Johnny is not part of the problem he may not be part of the solution either given his contract status. If we hang on to him for next season, he could walk or demand a larger contract, both of which will set us back if we are needing to rebuild or retool. It would be nice to get a 1C for him, but realistically we should take the best assets we can get whether they be draft picks, prospects, or players.

it’s baffling. We never know what this team is going to do. I dunno. Maybe even more so this season...

4 hours ago, lou44291 said:

I could see Peeps having a point, I've worked as a second generation at a company which a parent was a higher up and had a hard time fitting in or feeling accepted by co-workers, not the same as Tkachuk is no relation to Flames, but he grew up in the sports wealthy circles and had more opportunities than most.  Not saying he is a problem, but not building him up because he says what people want to hear. Tkachuk was raised around a room he knows what to say, but I am past the point of caring about post-game, pre-game media stuff.  Its all talk and he's the exact same, all the "we need to be better" "this is on me", haven't seen him step up all season so I'm starting to put Tkachuk's desire to win to politician speak.  The problem I'm having is everyone is jumping on the problem in the room, but there is a difference between there is a problem in the room vs. there is a problem with the room.  I don't think it is any individuals necessarily being a problem, but the group as a whole. 

This team doesn't fight through adversity, which was something they did a lot better early on in the Gio-Mony-Johnny-Backs-Brods era.  But after game 3 vs. Anaheim in 2017 this team began fighting a battle with itself, but the problem was for years we accepted the scapegoating method.  The 2017 series was all Elliotts fault.  2018 was missed playoffs, fire Gulutzan and trade Hamilton (he didn't care about winning apparently, even though he has had no problems in Carolina), 2019 success allowed us to believe that the issues from 2018 were just Gully and Hamilton, until game 2 vs. Colorado when we blow another late lead and lose in overtime with the chance to take a 2 game series lead.  Core gets another chance in 2020, falls behind early, gets bailed out by Peters past, up and down the rest of the season, playoffs come around and another blown opportunity to take a 2 game series lead, and a complete collapse in an elimination game, who's fault was that obviously Ward's and Talbots.  The one thing the team has in common is from all 3 playoff collapses is the same group just add Bennett and Tkachuk, and subtract Brodie this year.  Its a fragile core that has been continually been kept together with using different methods, first we went with tape, then glue, then a different kind of tape now super glue, we've run out of fixes time to take it to the trash.

• Like 1

At this rate, just stay the course.  If it's broke, don't fix it until after we get the high pick.  Make the trades during off-season.  Hope we can draft a #1 Center.

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

At this rate, just stay the course.  If it's broke, don't fix it until after we get the high pick.  Make the trades during off-season.  Hope we can draft a #1 Center.

or a #1D or even a #1RSD. A #1 C or D.  Either way, we need a stud!

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

This season has to be the most bizarre one I can remember......

Since last year.

It started with the promise of a starter and big improvement over Hamonic.

The loss of Brodie was not a shock, but a lot here (not me) felt Gio propped him up.

Overall, it should not have been that much of a downgrade.

Then we hire the coach incapable of managing a bench.

Overuses Markstrom to the point of a dumb injiry.

Plays Gio with Ras because he has no clue and one pair is playing well.

Goes with depth at C even at the expense of scoring.

We get Sutter, who looks like the right coach to get results.

Same PP.

Possession better and pace better, but results worse.

This feels like a season that if we had 82 games, we would figure it out.

Figure it out meaning know what we need by the mid point.

But you play the same teams over and over this year, so it's not like you really know. 

What may beat Ottawa doesn't translate to TOR or WPG.

No time to fix the ship.

No time to make the deals you need to move forward.

It seems like we aren't even talking to teams about available players.

There's no reason why we shouldn't be yaking offers and making moves.

No UFA should be exempt.

Gio should absolutely be moved for any reasonable value.

Backlund should be too.

Bennett should have been traded.

Whatever is left we figure out and make the best deals in the summer.

It's not even about fixing the culture anymore.

This is about creating one from nothing.

Define it and build the team that way.

Not a rebuild, but a shakeup.

27 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

This season has to be the most bizarre one I can remember......

Since last year.

It's true. Maybe we have a team that can feast on the East and Central Division teams but we never played them.  We will never know.

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

It's true. Maybe we have a team that can feast on the East and Central Division teams but we never played them.  We will never know.

well, they’d probably fair better throughout the league because it is not playoff hockey like in the North division. If you keep playing the same teams, they catch on and adjust and know how to stop you. But in a normal season, teams don’t care until after the all star break and then bunker down and play you hard. I think that is why we came in 2nd overall that year. Teams took the flames lightly and then got snake bitten for it. Then we saw how teams could shut them down after the all star break. 

44 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

well, they’d probably fair better throughout the league because it is not playoff hockey like in the North division. If you keep playing the same teams, they catch on and adjust and know how to stop you. But in a normal season, teams don’t care until after the all star break and then bunker down and play you hard. I think that is why we came in 2nd overall that year. Teams took the flames lightly and then got snake bitten for it. Then we saw how teams could shut them down after the all star break. 

I think we took the end of the season too lightly.

Coasting in.

It's not that we were being shut down as much as playing not to be injured.

COL was fighting up to the end to get in.

No wonder we had trouble.

As for this year, we had the wrong coach for too long.

The players were the problem and we did nothing to fix them or the lines to use them properly.

Pro scouting sucks and we will not be better until BT is properly advised.

Sutter is getting as much out of this group as he can given the lines he uses.

At the very least he needs to see if there is more scoring from other combos.

We blew it this year.  A real chance to see what we could do in the playoffs against CDN teams.

Soft games and bad coaching against Ottawa and VAN.

In hindsight, it's a blessing.

Got rid of a poor coach and exposed the lack of character.

Won't waste a playoff appearance in a footnote year.

May have even made the final 4 but would have been a joke.

FOR SALE!!!!! Every player on this roster should be up for grabs right now. The problem is our GM is just as bad as the club he constructed. Can someone place a finger on why this club or organization just sucks the talent out of every player? We have to many players who can not skate and the ones who can the talent is sucked rigth out of them. 

The silver lining in all of this we should see a change and it can not come soon enough. There should not be any core players left, none, we have seen far to much of the lack of leadership, mentality, desire and work ethic from this group for far to long.......Its been 2 years over due. Tre got rid of Hamilton and hes has been a stud in Carolina, it appears the issue maynot of been the player but his team mates. TIME TO CLEAN THE BARN!!!!

52 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

FOR SALE!!!!! Every player on this roster should be up for grabs right now. The problem is our GM is just as bad as the club he constructed. Can someone place a finger on why this club or organization just sucks the talent out of every player? We have to many players who can not skate and the ones who can the talent is sucked rigth out of them. 

The silver lining in all of this we should see a change and it can not come soon enough. There should not be any core players left, none, we have seen far to much of the lack of leadership, mentality, desire and work ethic from this group for far to long.......Its been 2 years over due. Tre got rid of Hamilton and hes has been a stud in Carolina, it appears the issue maynot of been the player but his team mates. TIME TO CLEAN THE BARN!!!!

If you don't know what the problem is, how are you expecting to fix it?

Who suggested we sign certain players?

What players are killing the vibe in the room or on the ice?

Is playing the same lines over and over again making them gel more?

Why do we have a pair of D-men that don't belong in the NHL playing every game now?

You can blame the GM for the coaches he hired.

Pretty hard to blame him for the players he targeted.

He can choose to ignore the pro scouts or the amateur ones.

But, they are supposed to be good at their jobs.

I don't think that the pro scouts have a clue.

You don't always find a fit, but you should not be so wrong so often.

34 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

If you don't know what the problem is, how are you expecting to fix it?

Who suggested we sign certain players?

What players are killing the vibe in the room or on the ice?

Is playing the same lines over and over again making them gel more?

Why do we have a pair of D-men that don't belong in the NHL playing every game now?

You can blame the GM for the coaches he hired.

Pretty hard to blame him for the players he targeted.

He can choose to ignore the pro scouts or the amateur ones.

But, they are supposed to be good at their jobs.

I don't think that the pro scouts have a clue.

You don't always find a fit, but you should not be so wrong so often.

Well Sutter was just asked if this team is good enough to win, he said you have to play at a high level of speed and check and pass think at high level  as well, we have players that can not do this. So Sutter just told the people who hired him your club is not good enough or constructed well enough with a roster to win, BOOM!!! So who is the first out the door. Should start a pool, at least we can enjoy the tear down

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

Well Sutter was just asked if this team is good enough to win, he said you have to play at a high level of speed and check and pass think at high level  as well, we have players that can not do this. So Sutter just told the people who hired him your club is not good enough or constructed well enough with a roster to win, BOOM!!! So who is the first out the door. Should start a pool, at least we can enjoy the tear down

1)Lucic

2)Ryan

3)Stone

4)Backland

5) Bennett

6) Gaudreau

7)Riddich

• Like 1

At this point I’d suggest the list of players to keep is much shorter:

Lindholm ( they need to decide is he RW or Ctr...keep in mind he’s been a better RW than Ctr but I believe he’s still at best 2nd line maximum potential)

Bennett (young enough for Sutter to fix, could be a solid 3rd line Ctr and pair him with Manij as his LW)

either Dube/Manji/Gaudreau (my pick Manji...but he’s still a 3rd liner Max potential)

Tachuck (he should rebound after they tear things down, he’s still a top line potential LW and probably the only legitimate top line player we have at this point...and yes he is struggling but I think if they can move out the locker room cancers this will change and he’ll be back to playing at top level again)

Markstrom (he’s newly signed with big cap hit, heck even Price and Fleury had a few bad years)

Valimaki

Hanifin and Tanev (keep the pair or trade them both...probably best to keep them)

Anderson (pair him with Valimaki already, let them work the kinks of being newly paired the rest of this season so we could at least start with two solid D pair next year which is a huge step forward in a rebuild)

Kylington (need to find either a stud rookie D in this draft to pair him with, which is possible given the D depth...or we need to trade for a younger vet D say around 25 ish who would normally be a top 4 pairing on most good teams)

I think if we could land a solid 4th line D and some better 7/8 D and/or decent D prospects combined with Markstrom that’s the way to rebuild fast given the prices that are in place now.  Key is to get that Anderson Valimaki pairing up to speed now and also, if at all possible find that semi seasoned D for Kylington this TDL then focus on a lower cost back up they could do a full rebuild of the forward lines pretty quickly.  I’d say by year 3 of Sutter’s tenure they would contenders.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MP5029 said:

At this point I’d suggest the list of players to keep is much shorter:

Lindholm ( they need to decide is he RW or Ctr...keep in mind he’s been a better RW than Ctr but I believe he’s still at best 2nd line maximum potential)

Lindholm should be a RW shooter, with a LH Centerman so that he can help by taking the offhand draws. I also believe he should be with Tkachuk on a wing with Tkachuk who is a great passer in his own right. However, they desperately need a Centerman that is not currently on this roster.

Bennett (young enough for Sutter to fix, could be a solid 3rd line Ctr and pair him with Manij as his LW)

either Dube/Manji/Gaudreau (my pick Manji...but he’s still a 3rd liner Max potential)

I agree and whether I have rose coloured glasses on or not, am not willing to give up on Benny. I want him to be our third line Center, and want to see Mang on his Left and Dube on his right.

Tachuck (he should rebound after they tear things down, he’s still a top line potential LW and probably the only legitimate top line player we have at this point...and yes he is struggling but I think if they can move out the locker room cancers this will change and he’ll be back to playing at top level again)

AGREE!! The only way you move him is in a package for an Eichel or Barkov or Similar Center. Otherwise don’t bother.

Markstrom (he’s newly signed with big cap hit, heck even Price and Fleury had a few bad years)

He’s our ride or die for the foreseeable future whether we like it or not.

Valimaki

Hanifin and Tanev (keep the pair or trade them both...probably best to keep them)

Anderson (pair him with Valimaki already, let them work the kinks of being newly paired the rest of this season so we could at least start with two solid D pair next year which is a huge step forward in a rebuild)

Kylington (need to find either a stud rookie D in this draft to pair him with, which is possible given the D depth...or we need to trade for a younger vet D say around 25 ish who would normally be a top 4 pairing on most good teams)

I think Kylington should be used in a package at the trade deadline for something around a 2nd, for instance if Philly is in, he could be of use to them. 
Hannifin and Tanev are a very good 2nd pair and are here for their contracts.

I always like Val but have questioned his skating. He has a choppy stride rather than a smooth stride, which doesn’t mean he can’t get around the ice, but it means he has to work harder to get from point A - B. It just shows me that he may not be a top minute crunching #1 pairing. Again I really like him, I just wonder if he will be the same skater after his ACL injury last year. I see him as a very dangerous third pairing guy.

I think if we could land a solid 4th line D and some better 7/8 D and/or decent D prospects combined with Markstrom that’s the way to rebuild fast given the prices that are in place now.  Key is to get that Anderson Valimaki pairing up to speed now and also, if at all possible find that semi seasoned D for Kylington this TDL then focus on a lower cost back up they could do a full rebuild of the forward lines pretty quickly.  I’d say by year 3 of Sutter’s tenure they would contenders.

Love the post, just my opinions. 

• Like 1