The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

Vatanen and DeKeyser on waivers. While both have some good qualities, not sure they are worth it.

DeKeyser is a 6’3 LSD over 30 making 5 mil for another season. Size is good, but wrong shot, too expensive and on the wrong side of 30 at that price.

Vatanen while only 2 mil and a RSD at 29 is an upcoming UFA and only 5’10. Price, side and age are right, size and status likely reduce the benefits.

Thoughts?

40 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

Vatanen and DeKeyser on waivers. While both have some good qualities, not sure they are worth it.

DeKeyser is a 6’3 LSD over 30 making 5 mil for another season. Size is good, but wrong shot, too expensive and on the wrong side of 30 at that price.

Vatanen while only 2 mil and a RSD at 29 is an upcoming UFA and only 5’10. Price, side and age are right, size and status likely reduce the benefits.

Thoughts?

I don't think we have the cap space to take on either.

I would have more interest in Mete, who is also on waivers today. 

I think the Flames could claim Vatanen if they wanted. They can add just over 2 mill in cap space and Vatanen is 2 million.

Doesn't make sense though. He isn't a good fit for Sutter's system IMO and isn't what you want in a 3rd pairing guy either. 

I too would have some interest in Mete but I also don't think he is a player that would thrive under Sutter so I don't see the point. 

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think the Flames could claim Vatanen if they wanted. They can add just over 2 mill in cap space and Vatanen is 2 million.

Doesn't make sense though. He isn't a good fit for Sutter's system IMO and isn't what you want in a 3rd pairing guy either. 

I too would have some interest in Mete but I also don't think he is a player that would thrive under Sutter so I don't see the point. 

Vatanen used to be a decent puck mover, which is one of the qualities Sutter likes.

That's one of the things that make Tanev such a good D, his first pass.

I know it doesn't make a lot of sense to claim him now, but a RHS D is something we lack.

Stone is fine, but I think he's not where we want to be on the 3rd pair.

So, you only claim Vatanen if you are looking to audition a player for RD.

We have nobody in that spot on the farm.

Mackey is better used on LD on a 3rd pair.

I hate to think we re-sign Stone again to another deal this summer, or overpay someone else.

4 hours ago, ABC923 said:

Why do teams keep trading for Gudbranson? He’s terrible!

RHS RD.  Most of them are terrible but you need them to balance D pairings.

Prices at the TDL are always crazy. 

Would be big for CBJ though, they may get a better return for Foligno than NJ got for Palmieri and Zajac

Leafs paid a very high price but I like the move for them. Between a weaker draft and a weaker division their path to winning a few rounds is there. 
Columbus doing very well getting a 1st for foligno. 

if the flames can use their cap space like that I’m all for it. 

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Leafs paid a very high price but I like the move for them. Between a weaker draft and a weaker division their path to winning a few rounds is there. 
Columbus doing very well getting a 1st for foligno. 

if the flames can use their cap space like that I’m all for it. 

Yeah, I see on Twitter a lot of people are saying they should have paid that and got Hall, but if I am the Leafs and are looking to go on a deep playoff run I would rather have Foligno than Hall. The Leafs have enough skilled forwards, they needed another forward to play in their top 9 that can do the dirty work. He will be a really good fit there.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Yeah, I see on Twitter a lot of people are saying they should have paid that and got Hall, but if I am the Leafs and are looking to go on a deep playoff run I would rather have Foligno than Hall. The Leafs have enough skilled forwards, they needed another forward to play in their top 9 that can do the dirty work. He will be a really good fit there.

Agreed. Gives them a line they won’t mind getting stuck out there. Keefe should have a much easier time with line matching. I also don’t think the Leafs could have made Halls salary fit. 

it’s a bad overpay, but given the circumstances this year I think it’s a worthwhile overpay. 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

Agreed. Gives them a line they won’t mind getting stuck out there. Keefe should have a much easier time with line marching. I also don’t think the Leafs could have made Halls salary fit. 

it’s a bad overpay, but given the circumstances this year I think it’s a worthwhile overpay. 

And if you win nobody talks or cares about the overpay. Look at Tampa with Goodrow and Coleman.

• Like 1

I think Cgy should really look at moving anyone with expiring contracts and retain salary DNA scoop up some draft picks...

heck, may be worth retaining salary as a 3rd party team too...seems to be a pretty good return...the season is a huge bust so best move is to follow in CBJ’s footsteps.

That's a huge overpay for Foligno! He's not the player he once was, defintely still an effective 3rd liner production wise and a nice pick up, but still. Ryan put up similar numbers to Foligno last season, but is having a down year this season. If foligno is worth a 1st + 4th with Salary retention, Ryan ought to be worth a 2nd with salary retention. Probably not though, I'd be happy to get a 3rd or 4th.

Foligno generated a first because he is the type of player everyone wants at this time of year, especially with the important of dump and chase and tighter games come the playoffs. Foligno is very good on the forechecking and puck retrieval. 

I really like Ryan as a player but he isn't the type of player the league tends to get excited about at TDL. If they can move him at all I think he tops out at a 4th rounder. 

Wow. That’s a lot more than I thought he would generate. Also prefer that it’s 2022 as I’m hearing good things about the depth of that draft

Nice move and happy to see the Flames getting assets where they can. 

I came to really enjoy big save Dave. I hope he does well there. 

• Like 1

Good luck BSD! Hope you win a cup, and hope to see you in flames gear again in the future!

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Calgary is retaining 50% as well.

Good sign they are serious about getting assets when they can. Thats reassuring. 

Kinda funny, the Flames play the Leafs in the second half of a b2b, maybe they face Rittich...

Nice piece of business for the Flames, they turned an undrafted guy into a top 90 pick

If you could get Hall cheap with an extension... and trade Gaudreau... are Hall and Gaudreau equal? Would be a shakeup of the core.

5 minutes ago, Sobieit said:

If you could get Hall cheap with an extension... and trade Gaudreau... are Hall and Gaudreau equal? Would be a shakeup of the core.

Gaudreau is better imo. Hall has had a few lesser seasons in a row now, and is older. If he’d sign something like a 5x5 deal, maybe it would be okay.