The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

12 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Some suggest Buffalo wants to do a total rebuild and go very young.  So Eichel, Reinhart, and Ristolainen for prospects and picks.  This means Cozens, Mittlestadt, Dahlin, etc are off the table.  And they need to hit the cap floor so Skinner and Okposo can stay rather than be added to trades and lower the return for those big 3.   And honestly, that's the right move.  I know there's pressure to win but I think they should do the right thing and not rush another retool.

They should draft Power this year.  Then tank for the next two and draft Wright and Bedard.  With Power and Dahlin, and Cozens... this team should be heading in the right direction.  

Buffalo has managed to just miss out on the best players.

Nothing wrong with Eichel, but he was a consolation prize.

There are teams that have lots of picks this year, but is this what Buffalo should do?  Get a bunch of picks on one draft?

Getting a 1st in 22 and 23 would probably come with lotto protection.

I don't see it.

I also don't see a great offer coming from Calgary.

It would be competetive, but I think others would look better.

If they want Tkachuk, I suppose it could center around that, but it would be tough.

14 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Some suggest Buffalo wants to do a total rebuild and go very young.  So Eichel, Reinhart, and Ristolainen for prospects and picks.  This means Cozens, Mittlestadt, Dahlin, etc are off the table.  And they need to hit the cap floor so Skinner and Okposo can stay rather than be added to trades and lower the return for those big 3.   And honestly, that's the right move.  I know there's pressure to win but I think they should do the right thing and not rush another retool.

They should draft Power this year.  Then tank for the next two and draft Wright and Bedard.  With Power and Dahlin, and Cozens... this team should be heading in the right direction.  

I don't think they have a choice personally.  Your star player likely wants out, your core (which is in their prime based on age) really isn't as good as you thought and wants out, and outside of Cozens they don't really have any prospects coming. They do have a lot of cap room so I guess you could sell me they can add 2 big pieces via FA but does anyone want to go there? They really need to improve their scouting staff though if that's the route they want to go because they are one of the worse drafting teams in the league IMO. 

It's why I do think Eichel gets traded because I think he sees what I see, that team isn't turning this around anytime soon. I think your right that they should focus on the next 3 drafts but I also doubt Eichel wants to wait around in Buffalo that long. 

16 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don't think they have a choice personally.  Your star player likely wants out, your core (which is in their prime based on age) really isn't as good as you thought and wants out, and outside of Cozens they don't really have any prospects coming. They do have a lot of cap room so I guess you could sell me they can add 2 big pieces via FA but does anyone want to go there? They really need to improve their scouting staff though if that's the route they want to go because they are one of the worse drafting teams in the league IMO. 

It's why I do think Eichel gets traded because I think he sees what I see, that team isn't turning this around anytime soon. I think your right that they should focus on the next 3 drafts but I also doubt Eichel wants to wait around in Buffalo that long. 

Yep. Reinhart said as much himself. He said something along the lines of “I’m in my prime, and I don’t want to go through a rebuild” because chances are, he’ll be out of his prime by the time they’re competitive again. 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

I don't think they have a choice personally.  Your star player likely wants out, your core (which is in their prime based on age) really isn't as good as you thought and wants out, and outside of Cozens they don't really have any prospects coming. 

Oh no, I meant like they sound more inclined to trade Eichel, Reinhart, and Risto for picks and prospects as opposed to players in their primes.  So they not going to consider Tkachuk, Gaudreau, Monahan, etc.

26 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Oh no, I meant like they sound more inclined to trade Eichel, Reinhart, and Risto for picks and prospects as opposed to players in their primes.  So they not going to consider Tkachuk, Gaudreau, Monahan, etc.

I don't know that it makes sense for the team to take a team not meeting expectations and go through another rebuild.

Trading Eichel alone for players and prospects close to NHL gets them closer faster.

Reinhard and Risto and Olufsson would be help get them there.

Cozens helps.

They need to decide what team they are trying to build and go from there.

Much like the Flames, they have players preventing them from getting better and guys that don't really fit into a team mold.

They tried to add Hall, and that didn't help.

Probably should not look at that as Hall was bad as much as Hall didn't fit.

Like Bennett.

Fix the problems on the roster.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I don't know that it makes sense for the team to take a team not meeting expectations and go through another rebuild.

It's actually the right thing to do if they want to win a Cup.  If they just want to rush to mediocrity to ease some pain then ya, take all our Flames players.

34 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

It's actually the right thing to do if they want to win a Cup.  If they just want to rush to mediocrity to ease some pain then ya, take all our Flames players.

If you are doing a rebuild, then Eichel wanting out has nothing to do with decision making.

I'm not saying they are wrong in doing it, just they have some retooling they could do that could change the outcome.

A rebuild for a team like them is going to be long and drawn out.

And no guarantee of doing it right.

As opposed to getting rid of the players not helping.

Making smart trades and signings.

I'm not even sure how you can rebuild with the likes of Skinner and Okposo.

Your best assets are the ones you need to complete in the next 5 years.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Yup I knew this is what you meant and I agree. Perhaps the Sabres shock us and think differently but that's why I've always struggled to see what the Flames keep coming up when it comes to Eichel. They can't really offer what the Sabres should be looking for. 

I could maybe get behind the idea that you center it around Tkachuk because in 2-3 years he'll still be in his prime but still feels like a reach. 

I’ve been racking my brain all day, which team pushes all in for Jack. I feel like it’s the Rangers as they’re cleaning house, but a trade in the division in my mind revolves around Laff and a couple 1sts, maybe a strome in there to make room down the middle. 
I’ve heard that LA and Anaheim are high on the list, but they probably have to include Byfield and Zegras respectively, and both of them don’t have enough of a team to build around Jack. LA being the outlier with a lot of prospects to offer.

I’ve heard Minnesota come up, but I don’t know what they offer while also trying to sign Ek and Kaprizov.

I also wondered if Philly would make a big move, they do have a good amount of prospects, and Eich would definitely transform them, but Buffalo is eating some salary coming back.

So I wonder, maybe we can put a strong offer on the table? This could get exciting 

19 minutes ago, pikey7883 said:

I’ve been racking my brain all day, which team pushes all in for Jack. I feel like it’s the Rangers as they’re cleaning house, but a trade in the division in my mind revolves around Laff and a couple 1sts, maybe a strome in there to make room down the middle. 
I’ve heard that LA and Anaheim are high on the list, but they probably have to include Byfield and Zegras respectively, and both of them don’t have enough of a team to build around Jack. LA being the outlier with a lot of prospects to offer.

I’ve heard Minnesota come up, but I don’t know what they offer while also trying to sign Ek and Kaprizov.

I also wondered if Philly would make a big move, they do have a good amount of prospects, and Eich would definitely transform them, but Buffalo is eating some salary coming back.

So I wonder, maybe we can put a strong offer on the table? This could get exciting 

I could see the Jackets make an offer based on a Laine signing either in Columbus or Buffalo and the Jackets offering up a goalie. The BJs have alot of signings to do and much like Buffalo their talent pool isnt too deep. Theyll have the room to add some talent in the off season.

Again if Buffalo really wants a clean start they gotta get someone to take on the Skinner contract and maybe even the Okposo one also.  Addition by subtraction basically.

I think LA is the frontrunner for Eichel. They have what NYR doesn't and that's C prospects

Byfield

Turcotte

Vilardi

Kupari

They won't move Byfield, but I could see them dangling Turcotte. Most teams in the league would have a tough time topping a Turcotte+ package. LA is so loaded with prospects that they can move a 5th overall pick and still be incredibly deep. 

• Like 2

Well remote has it that Nolan Patrick wants a fresh start elsewhere, wonder what it would take to land him? 

I’m not 100% sure he helps here, he’s not an elite Ctr but he is big and talented, maybe Gaudreau for him?

Top line of:

Tachuck/Patrick or lindy/Patrick or lindy 

second line Ctr of Monahan, we would just need to sort out who to add on his LW and RW but potential is there to have two solid lines and a 3rd line setup with Backlund and Dube (RW) just need a RW with some size for that line...obviously would need to trade Manj no way we can keep both....but still one trade could really change things:

Tackuck/PatricK/Lindholm 

LW?/Monahan/RW?

LW?/Backlund/RW?

Lucic/Ctr?/RW?

least in this situation the top 3 Ctrs are about where they should be still very weak on the wings though.

4 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think LA is the frontrunner for Eichel. They have what NYR doesn't and that's C prospects

Byfield

Turcotte

Vilardi

Kupari

They won't move Byfield, but I could see them dangling Turcotte. Most teams in the league would have a tough time topping a Turcotte+ package. LA is so loaded with prospects that they can move a 5th overall pick and still be incredibly deep. 

I’d rather see if we could Pry Patrick out of Phi and maybe see if we could manage something for Reinhart...Eichel I have some questions about and quite honestly I don’t think he’s a fit here, also we just can’t offer anything close to team like LA and NYR have, but Reinhart is a possibility, just not sure about the cost to get him, can’t be nearly as high as Eichel though.

8 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

I’d rather see if we could Pry Patrick out of Phi and maybe see if we could manage something for Reinhart...Eichel I have some questions about and quite honestly I don’t think he’s a fit here, also we just can’t offer anything close to team like LA and NYR have, but Reinhart is a possibility, just not sure about the cost to get him, can’t be nearly as high as Eichel though.

There will be a ton of interest in Sam Reinhart. I really like the player, but the cost will be high. He scored 25 goals this season, which puts him at just shy of 40 goals in a full season. 

Nolan Patrick is fine to target, but it depends on the price. It's a reclamation project. He has struggled to stay healthy and when he has, he's been the Flyers version of Sam Bennett. One thing that would deter me is the migraine issues, the chinooks could really bother the player which is something else to keep in mind. It depends on the cost too, if he's part of a Gaudreau package, then I may be interested, but I wouldn't give up a pick for him.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Byfield

Turcotte

Vilardi

Kupari

Maybe I have an inflated opinion of Turcotte, but I think he's more NHL ready than Byfield, and has been consistent when he has moved to the next level.

I just don't see them thinking about moving Turcotte.

As far as cap, they have a lot to re-sign and not a lot coming off.

I mean none of it really breaks the bank, but it's not like they have $10m in available cap.

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Maybe I have an inflated opinion of Turcotte, but I think he's more NHL ready than Byfield, and has been consistent when he has moved to the next level.

I just don't see them thinking about moving Turcotte.

As far as cap, they have a lot to re-sign and not a lot coming off.

I mean none of it really breaks the bank, but it's not like they have $10m in available cap.

I like Turcotte, but I think Byfield has a higher ceiling.

Either way, the Kings have some good centres.

I think if they want Eichel, they can do it. It’s just a matter of if they want 30mill spent on Kopitar, Doughty and Eichel

Maybe I missed it earlier somewhere, but I was reading an article on TSN about Lucic and appears he’s already waived his NM clause for the expansion draft.

that’s gotta be a good thing? 

no certainty that he would be taken by the kraken but he’s probably a great guy to be a captain for a new expansion team I think especially where I would think they would need a few big contracts to hit the cap floor, Lucic would also be a good fit for that too.

its not he’s a horrible player, just way over paid from a few good years of being inflated in Bos, otherwise he’s good for the role he plays on 3...well more so 4th line but paid way too much is all. Sad really, if he were 2 -2.5 (max) per season he’d be a guy no one would mind having stay.

anyway, I’m not sure but if he is gone it leaves a bottom 6 hole and some serious cap room, which is great and all, definitely opens some

flexible for signing RFA’s but then there is the other problem of compensation to teams either by trade or by compensation rules, I’m not 100% sure Cgy has the assets for

that type of deal, but maybe?  The other question would be who to target we kinda need everything up front now. I’m still very bitter about loosing Bennett and keeping an aging Backlund  but that’s what the team was kinda pegged into with yet another MN/NTC 

1 hour ago, MP5029 said:

Maybe I missed it earlier somewhere, but I was reading an article on TSN about Lucic and appears he’s already waived his NM clause for the expansion draft.

that’s gotta be a good thing? 

no certainty that he would be taken by the kraken but he’s probably a great guy to be a captain for a new expansion team I think especially where I would think they would need a few big contracts to hit the cap floor, Lucic would also be a good fit for that too.

its not he’s a horrible player, just way over paid from a few good years of being inflated in Bos, otherwise he’s good for the role he plays on 3...well more so 4th line but paid way too much is all. Sad really, if he were 2 -2.5 (max) per season he’d be a guy no one would mind having stay.

anyway, I’m not sure but if he is gone it leaves a bottom 6 hole and some serious cap room, which is great and all, definitely opens some

flexible for signing RFA’s but then there is the other problem of compensation to teams either by trade or by compensation rules, I’m not 100% sure Cgy has the assets for

that type of deal, but maybe?  The other question would be who to target we kinda need everything up front now. I’m still very bitter about loosing Bennett and keeping an aging Backlund  but that’s what the team was kinda pegged into with yet another MN/NTC 

We are flush with all picks required for compensation, so that's not an issue.

Gotta make sure your own house is in order, though.

The thing about offer sheets is the player either wants to come here or he is risking having his own team match.

Yes, according to Francis he waived, but I just don't see any chance Seattle takes him.  Vegas took Engelland for a marketing reason.  They already had their team built through dumb GM's and good picks.  But they also only really improved by being able to offer Stone, Patches, and Pietrangelo big money.  And paying big bucks for two goalies.  Lucic doesn't help them achieve anything really.  A team will likely give them assets to take a big contract.  

We just need to figure out what to do with Lucic.  He's a role player, not your shutdown guy.  

As far as Lucic is concerned, I know that he has waived his NMC in order to not handcuff the flames as fas as expansion is concerned. I wonder if he is not selected if he would allow himself to be moved outside of Seattle? Has anyone heard anything around a trade regarding Looch outside of expansion?

2 hours ago, pikey7883 said:

As far as Lucic is concerned, I know that he has waived his NMC in order to not handcuff the flames as fas as expansion is concerned. I wonder if he is not selected if he would allow himself to be moved outside of Seattle? Has anyone heard anything around a trade regarding Looch outside of expansion?

Starting this offseason Lucic submits a list of 8 teams he can be traded to and next offseason it will be 10.  I don't see a move happening that would improve either on ice, the future or the cap situation.

5 hours ago, pikey7883 said:

Would Benning want to trade for him?

I think there are only a few places Lucic wants to go.

I mean he likes it in Calgary, at least he seems to.

The coach shares his vision.

The city isn't a bad place to live.

He would be a great fit in a place like BOS or NY, but I don't think Lucic would go to NY.

He might be okay with BOS, but that's just a guess.

I think the only way Lucic doesn't finish in CGY is if we go rebuild.

Was probably hoping that the team would have taken some steps this year, but I think he saw the work ethic and culture as issues.

9 hours ago, sak22 said:

Starting this offseason Lucic submits a list of 8 teams he can be traded to and next offseason it will be 10.  I don't see a move happening that would improve either on ice, the future or the cap situation.

Are you sure?  I think its full NMC.

Every team in the league will call about Eichel. I've went through the league to see which teams can realistically do it. 

To start, you can cross off the entire Atlantic Division. OTT, MTL, TOR, DET, BOS, TB and FLA. They won't be dealing him within the division. Right now you're at 24 potential trade partners. 

In the Metro, you can cross off PIT, NYI, NJ, WSH

NYR- Everyone's front-runner. I cant see BUF doing it unless the no questions asked, best offer is from NYR. It's not within the division, but it may as well be. 

PHI- They could do a deal that helps the Sabres now. Guys like Konecny, Provorov and Sanheim could be of interest.

CAR- Dundon is an aggressive owner. Canes have a very nice pool of prospects. They could even do Eichel for Aho if they wanted. 

CBJ- They have a top 10 pick that they can dangle as well as Werenski, Bjorkstrand or Laine. I bet they wish they still had PLD.

Now you have 20 potential trade partners. 

In the central, you can cross off ARI, NSH, DAL, CHI, COL, WPG

STL- They have lots of $ coming off the books. Their package is likely headlined by a Thomas or Kyrou. 

MIN- Coveted a #1C their entire existence. They have 2 1st's in this draft, they also have a top 4 D they could move to BUF prior to expansion. 

Now you have 14 potential trade partners

The Pacific, you can cross off VAN, EDM, SJ, SEA

VGK- You can never count them out when a star becomes available. They'd likely have to drain most of their top prospect capital to do it.

LA- Absolutely loaded with prospects. It's just a matter of if the Kings want 30mill tied up in 3 players for the next 3 seasons. 

ANA- Pretty deep prospect pool, less likely of a landing spot than LA though

CGY- Obviously. 

So I came up with 10 teams that I could realistically see making an Eichel deal work. Like I said, earlier every team will call about him, but with a flat cap, it's hard to predict, 1. Which teams will be cap teams and 2. Which teams would be able to clear the cap to do it. I feel like these 10 teams can do it without major cap gymnastics.