The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
rocketdoctor

FLAMES @ Canucks - Saturday 13 February 2021

The shot count doesn’t seem real to me. Obviously it is, and the canucks have been pressing. But to my eye, they haven’t outshot us 6:1 or 7:1,  seems skewed

1 minute ago, Heartbreaker said:

All true! The Canucks are playing really well. That said, this habit of getting badly outshot in the first period game after game is not a good one. 

Love. 

Absolutely. I would be more concerned tonight if the effort level wasn't there, but I think the effort is there tonight. Vancouver is going to start making mistakes as they get more desperate and frustrated that they aren't scoring, that's when you start to capitalize and turn the momentum in your favour.

FWIW the flames won the High danger chance battle 4-3 and scoring chances were 12-9 Van. 

shot volume isn’t telling the story here imo. Flames need to flip the face off story. 

• Like 1

Just now, cross16 said:

FWIW the flames won the HIgh danger chance battle 4-3 and scoring chances were 12-9. 

shot volume isn’t telling the story here imo. 

Thanks for reiterating my post a lot better 😉

Look, I get the Vancouver hasn’t won in 6 and they’re hungry, but you don’t let them dictate the whole period. At some point you have to push back, didn’t see enough of that from the flames. Lots of feet standing still when we got the puck in our defensive zone. Defense especially, but forwards as well. Hence all the giveaways. 

• Like 1

Good period for VAN.

Yeah, shot clock was ugly, but lots on net from the perimeter. Markstrom was great, but Eriksson and Petersson had the only really dangerous chance s

Well we weathered the storm, or Markstrom did. Get one on early here on the pp and turn this thing around. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

There are times where Ward's defensive system reminds me Hartley's, back in and just try and keep the offensive team to the outside. There are times where they play a bit more aggressive, but I think when they know a team is going to be aggressive they tend to fall back and play conservative and look for a chance to counter strike.

agreed. Gio even said it last game when asked about the start, he wasn’t frustrated by it. Seem like on the road to me as well they are more content to play the first more conservative. 

I really really don’t like it but it’s also not the worst game plan either. 

Just now, CheersMan said:

Well we weathered the storm, or Markstrom did. Get one on early here on the pp and turn this thing around. 

An early PP goal would take the wind out if their sails. I think Vancouver is a fragile team right now, so if Calgary can come out and pot one early, Vancouver might crumple.

• Like 1

I hope we press for a goal with this PP to start the period, and not take it for granted. A goal here could deflate Vancouver for the period. A successful PK could give them more life. 

beat me to it JT. 😄

30 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

It is nice to know that most of the time Markstrom is going to have his holes covered up. Things like the pads or the goalie stick fully on ice and squared up to the post.  

ive gotten so used to things squeaking in. 

10 years or squeakers..

Even thou Nicks brought it the first period, it was comforting know Markstrom was in net. I still have all my nails. I like this feeling.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

agreed. Gio even said it last game when asked about the start, he wasn’t frustrated by it. Seem like on the road to me as well they are more content to play the first more conservative. 

I really really don’t like it but it’s also not the worst game plan either. 

I will say that what Ward does better than Hartley is that when the Flames do get the puck they are trying to look for a controlled break out and get sustained pressure in the offensive zone. Where Hartley wanted the forwards to just run for the opposing blue line and look for quick strike offense.

Flames need to work on their PP entries. Way too predictable, or they carrying it right into the middle of the 4 penalty killers and turning it over.

What Flames team is showing up today ?? The kind that just hands over 20 mins to one of the worst teams in the league right now! Still trying to trust this team but they make it impossible! Hopefully they wake up and show some ability to play hockey as this game progresses. Such an inconsistent team 😩

Is Backlund out there? Not sure that I have seen him this period and Bennett was just out there centering Lucic and Mangiapane.

I guess Gio's one PP goal recently was enough to bimp Ras off the top PP.

Saying that, Ras hasn;t been great up there, but he will sometimes skate the puck in on the PP.

The bump to JH is stale.

All they have to do is line up.

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

Is Backlund out there? Not sure that I have seen him this period and Bennett was just out there centering Lucic and Mangiapane.

interesting.