The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
rocketdoctor

FLAMES @ Canucks - Monday 15 February 2021

Just now, Heartbreaker said:

"Genius move by Geoff Ward to put that line back together."

- Rick Ball

Pfft! 

Love. 

And what do you call taking them apart all this time, Mr. Ball?

19 minutes ago, cross16 said:

On the plus side they’ve made the adjustment to use their d on the breakouts

the downside is their execution has been awful 

You’d hope after 8 periods of hockey where Van is sending in two forecheckers the coach could make an adjustment to the breakouts....  its been slow to adjust.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

"Genius move by Geoff Ward to put that line back together."

- Rick Ball

Pfft! 

Love. 

We need Maki-Valimackey pairing to give the announcers a good time.

3 minutes ago, Sobieit said:

You’d hope after 8 periods of hockey where Van is sending in two forecheckers the coach could make an adjustment to the breakouts....  its been slow to adjust.

Took the words out of my mouth. 

Better period but again mostly because they won some face offs or kept the puck in the zone. If the Canucks were exiting with control or getting zone time the same issues we’ve seen all series popped up. 

Just now, travel_dude said:

Mackey hasn't been bad, but I wonder about the logic of playing him with Ras, while having two LHS on the top pair.

Most likely trying to balance the pairings on the road, so you don't get caught in a bad position with two rookies on the ice together like last game.

Valimaki also played the right side in Finland this season.

Happy to see we’re skating. Ozone play has resorted to the perimeter again, except for the Bennett line. 

Nordstrom having a pretty good game. Hustling, throwing the body.. needs to make some better plays at our blue line. Also, gotta give some love to Buddy. Playing well and I like what he leaves out there on the ice. 

Am I the only one surprised to see Marky mark start this game? After 46 or so shots the previous game, I figured Ritter would start. 

3 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Most likely trying to balance the pairings on the road, so you don't get caught in a bad position with two rookies on the ice together like last game.

I get that, but I think Nesterov would have been a better balance, given last game's results.

Not that Mackey was bad, but you need to give him time.

3 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

He looks comfortable there. With his vision I think he could wind up there long term 

Interviewed Lindholm there and they said the Flames were the best 3rd period team in the league in this year. I think that could be most years. A testament to not starting on time most games?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Glad to see the real Mike Smith is back in EDM.

4 goals on 11 shots.

I don't miss that.

I want to know what his career stats are in games following a SO.  

Flames have got to fix these breakouts. It’s going to be their Achilles heel all season if they don’t. 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

Flames have got to fix these breakouts. It’s going to be their Achilles heel all season if they don’t. 

Yup absolutely brutal. I’d like to know what exactly they are trying to accomplish.

Going to be interesting to see how Ward handles Mackey. I’ve been pretty meh on his game but you cannot take 3 penalties in a game. This one was total unnecessary. 

Myers sits back in that scrum and cross checks Lindholm while he is engaged with Juolevi.  Big tough guy.

Why is Tkachuk is on the half wall and Lindholm in front of the net on the PP tonight? I mean Tkachuk is one of the best net from presences in the league and Lindholm has one of the best releases in the league seems like a complete misuse of talent.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

Just now, JTech780 said:

Why is Tkachuk is on the half wall and Lindholm in front of the net on the PP tonight? I mean Tkachuk is one of the best net from presences in the league and Lindholm has one of the best releases in the league seems like a complete misuse of talent.

Y'know, I was wondering exactly the same thing. 

Love. 

• Like 1

I’d like to see more of the Lindholm-Gaudreau on their off wings look.

and if you are not going to use Anderson as the QB, which I’m fine with l, he should still be on the flank on your 2nd unit to get a RS and one time option out there.